nkgunner

Generator Starts But Will Not Go To Load

Hi Everyone,

I have a Onan Quite 8000 Generator in a 2005 Country Coach Allure 430, the AC works on shore power, but when connected to only the generator it runs but never goes to load..

I can start the generator and it runs, it shows the sine wave, reads 18-24 volts output but will not rev up and go to full load and start the AC. It shows 0 faults on the Silverleaf screen. Fuel is fine, batteries are charged, line circuit breaker is ok and on.

Thanks,

George Anderson

2005 Country Coach Allure 430

(model # ? HDKAJ, HDKAK, HDKAT)

George,

Have you turned OFF and back ON the on-generator breakers?

If they are good, next "suspect" is the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch).

IF, repeat IF you are safe working around 120 VAC, remove the cover to the ATS. With a voltmeter, check for power "IN" from the generator and for power on the "OUT" contacts.

Or, have this diagnosed by someone qualified with 120 VAC RV electrical systems.

I have switched Off and On and the off will shut it down, On it starts right up..??

Not a good idea for me to put my hands in there, I could mess things up worse than they are.. I will read about the ATS and see what

it happens...

Thanks!

As an RV professional will evaluate, an ATS has two "IN" circuits-- one from generator and one from shore power.

Only ONE "OUT" which goes to the coach 120 VAC breaker box.

You can only have one source of 120 VAC (because it is alternating current) at a time.

The job of the ATS is to choose only ONE source and be able to switch between them.

George, do you have an auto start stop feature on the generator? The only reason I ask is I just had this problem with ours, my batteries were full and the generator would shut down before the a/c units had a chance to turn on.

I thought I had a problem but the auto off feature was set to 98% of battery life and it was doing just as it should, I assumed it would know the a/c was on but it didn't. My guess is the roof tops had not turned on yet so there was not enough of a load. Once I disabled the auto feature everything worked fine.

Lessons learned here.

Joe

Joe, that is very possible. I am going to reset all the features in the control panel to default and see what happens. I did change some features so the gen would not auto charge but maybe I messed up.

Will be at the coach in an hour to try this.

Went to the coach this morning and set all the settings on the control to the defaults according to the manuals. Started the Generator from the control panel and after it was running, switched ON the AC in zone 1 and the AC in zone 2 OFF. I took a walk outside and checked some things and the AC started and ran fine..Really didn't change anything....Go figure

Thanks for all the help, guys!

George