jamestouchstone

Towing A Jetta Sport Wagon

While towing the sport wagon and crossing a railroad track at approximately 45 mph. the VW steering wheel began oscillating violently and shaking my 40 ft. Revolution motor home.

I have a Blue Ox mod.#4775 with about 40,000 miles on it. It has not been serviced in the last 2 years, but appears to not have any excess play.

Has anyone had this problem where the tail wags the dog. The shaking or oscillating is very violent and will not stop unless you come to a complete stop, before starting again.

I haven't experienced this problem towing my CR-V. I have crossed some fairly rough RR crossings but try to slow down if I see them in time. How many miles on your VW? Are you hitting the crossings square or at an angle? Hopefully some one who tows a VW will chime in.

Bill

I have heard of vehicle with too little front end CASTER doing that. It was not recommended to tow early-model Subarus because of that.

Push a grocery cart backwards at speed and find out what too little/reverse caster does for stability.

Don't know what happened to my last reply if you did not get it, I will resend. I tow a 2014 VW sport wagon with 6000 miles I will contact VW and see about adding caster.

Thanks for your reply will let you know what happens.