Johnlone

Roadside Emergency Assistance Illusion

This is my open letter to Allstate. I think it speaks for itself.

April 25, 2015

Allstate Motor Club

2775 Sanders Rd. E2

Northbrook, Il.

60062-6127

Why do I want Roadside Assistance?

On April 20, 2015 my wife and I were pulling a trailer on Interstate 95 when I had a blow out on a tire on the trailer. I immediately pulled over onto the berm where it was off the road, but very busy. I called you for assistance and then the frustration started.

I am going to relate what happened and will be passing this letter on to the FMCA because the members need to know what they are paying for if they have Allstate Motor Club for their Emergency Road Service. I have been paying for this service since 2008 and this is the first time I tried to put it to use.

The person on the phone from Allstate took about 15 minutes to try to figure out if I was a member!!I was on hold for several minutes several times.

Finally he agreed that I was a member and how can he help me? I told them where I was exactly, and he said he would text me the information about who was coming. The text said they would be out in one and one half hours along with a phone number. After one hour I decided to call the company to make sure they were on the way. They said very frankly, “Oh we cancelled that run”, meaning, “they had a better job come by”. I again called Allstate in frustration.

Again I was on hold for about 15 minutes for them to figure out if I was a member of their service!!!

Yes, I was and “How can I help you?” I told them what I found out and they said they would attempt to get someone else out. No explanation for the loss of service. I wanted to talk to a supervisor so they said they would call back.

In the meantime my wife insisted I call the South Carolina Police (911). They had someone there in five minutes. While waiting for the police, the supervisor called back to let me know that it would take two and a half hours for the next service call and that it would cost $300 plus $35 dollars if I want them to take the tire!! Can you believe the gall of that supervisor to tell me that?

The policemen came so I hung up on the supervisor. He was extremely comforting and let us know that he would have someone there in ten minutes. They were there just as he said and changed the tire in five minutes. Amazing how wonderful some people are. The gentleman charged me $30, ( I paid him $60) to do the job.

So I ask you why in the world would I EVER want to continue the “no service” program I have been paying for since 2008?

Awful, Shameful, Disgraceful. I guess the old saying holds true, “you don’t know what you have until you put it to use”.

I know that you record your phone conversations, so I would ask you to look it up and listen to all three phone calls.

Your, “no longer” customer,

John L. Dogger

I didn't use FMCA's program but I did use the one I have (GS) and I needed to get towed 40 miles.  I asked the driver of the wrecker when I arrived what it would have cost if I had to pay for it myself. He stated $750.  Glad I have it.

Not many coaches comes with a spare tire, but the provider can bring a tire, and the cost of the tire would be the only cost. Of course one can purchase a new tire "not on a rim" and carry it in their basement compartment. I have done this for years, you will be surprised how little room it actually takes up, little used items can be placed inside the tire and larger items can be placed within the inner circle. Two miles towing  cost me $525.00 last year for towing, I thought my AAA RV plus had expired, so I didn't call, I did call to reinstate after returning home the next week. When I called, the lady at AAA informed me that it had not expired, my wife had placed it on auto renewal, after she told me this, I asked if I might enter the claim after the fact, she said that she would e-mail a form, filled it out and mailed it in, must have the original invoice, not a copy, within two weeks my check arrived, and I was surprised that it was for the full amount. Yes, roadside assistance in a very worthwhile investment for RVers.

I have had Coach Net for about 6 years now.  Had to be towed 3 times. Never a problem. I also had a problem and needed to be towed to a service center for a problem and they contacted the nearest service and made arrangements for them to get my unit in when we got there. Small electrical problem and we were back on the road in less than 2 hours. 

5 hours ago, F448850 said:

I would love to purchase FMCA's Road Assist Program but " Service is provided to change the tire with customer’s inflated spare." My RV does NOT have a spare tire.  :(

Under the FMCA Roadside Assistance Program, powered by Vehicle Administrative Services (VAS), mobile tire service is provided if a spare is not available. That had been inadvertently omitted from the website but has been updated.

You need roadside assistance.  None are completely satisfactory from the user standpoint but they will get you rolling down the road again.  The objective is not to save you money, the objective is to get something on your coach so you can get to a place where you can get the tire(s) you need.  It sounds crazy but without roadside service you may be searching for a long time to find someone with the tire size you need to get you rolling again.  I've had bizarre fixes like a really old tire (think 11 years old).  It got me on the road.  Another time it was a tire that was "close" to the right size.  In both cases I ended up buying two tires (rear dual) after paying $250 for a tire I'd never use again.  Think about it, you are in the middle of nowhere (or on the shoulder of a busy interstate) and you are searching for the perfect fix for your coach.  You can negotiate and search for hours or you can get something on that wheel and get back on the road again! 

On 4/26/2016 at 2:40 PM, FMCANationalOffice said:

Under the FMCA Roadside Assistance Program, powered by Vehicle Administrative Services (VAS), mobile tire service is provided if a spare is not available. That had been inadvertently omitted from the website but has been updated.

Thanks for updating that information! 

I just signed up for the FMCA Roadside Assistance based on the information you provided in your response to my post. 

After signing up and paying the fee, I received the contact. When I read thru the "Contract", it specifically says "Tire Changes: with your inflated spare." Ugh!  I left a message at the number provided on the website.  Hopefully, they will send me an "updated" contract to say " mobile tire service is provided if a spare is not available". 
As far as adding a spare tire to my RV, neither of my "garages" will fit one.  :(

16 hours ago, F448850 said:

When I read thru the "Contract", it specifically says "Tire Changes: with your inflated spare." Ugh!  I left a message at the number provided on the website.  Hopefully, they will send me an "updated" contract to say " mobile tire service is provided if a spare is not available."

Ugh! is right. Apparently, the contract has not been updated to reflect that mobile tire service is provided. I am checking on this ....

I have seen a copy of the new contract that will be loaded into the provider's system soon. It contains the following information about Mobile Tire Service:

"If a spare tire is not available, we will dispatch a mobile tire service company who will mount a like tire. Mobile tire service is not available in in all areas. Towing to the nearest qualified tire center will be provided if mobile tire service is not available. You will be responsible for all parts & labor fees."

Call me very confused.  I thought FMCA Road side assist was for Motor Homes!  When did it become available for Travel Trailers?  Hello FMCA or T. Moning,  You out there?

Carl

One might try to contact Michelin Tire service. The catch can be no cell service in areas of Canada and the US. Then work with them to see where the closest road service is located.

MICHELIN® COMMERCIAL SERVICE NETWORK

United States/Canada: 1-888-622-2306
     Roadside Assistance: 1-800-TIRE-911®

You might look up the commercial service network for your brand tire and keep it in the cell phone.

I do carry spare brass valve stems for my 22.5 tires. and valve cores and a strait core tool. Not the one that looks like a plus or cross. The reason for the brass stems is they can be bent at the proper angle to clear a duel tire if mounted in the rear.

A good commercial road tire service tech has the required jack(s) and tire spoons to brake the bead on the tires. I had one replaced and the service tech used the wheel hub to hold the tire so he could brake the bead and install a new valve stem. 

Note: The lug nuts and trim ring retaining nuts can be different and at times the proper size is not on the trucks to remove or loosen them. BTDT! So I now carry 2 large sockets for the 3/4in drive, commercial road service often have a 1in. drive impact wrench with a 1in. to 3/4in. adaptor in the tool box. So where are you going and remember the devil is in the details. The BSA motto is be prepared. It is uncomfortable to be a 100 miles or more in any direction from help.

The next question one needs to ask is, if your service does not provide tire service - will they reimburse you!

Rich.

Towing a tag 45 foot is something that I call, "Last resort", by a Big Rig tow service....It ain't cheap, you all :angry: You noticed that Todd and or FMCA, never came back to this post? Duh!  How long does it take to revise the wording of a contract?  A very long time, when the provider knows nothing about it...:angry::blink::rolleyes:

The FMCA Roadside Assistance Program is for motorhomes. Regarding spare tires, this language is in the contract:

"If a spare tire is not available, we will dispatch a mobile tire service company who will mount a like tire. Mobile tire service is not available in in all areas. Towing to the nearest qualified tire center will be provided if mobile tire service is not available. You will be responsible for all parts & labor fees."

Closing this topic, since it seems to have drifted.