berginaperzina

Cat Safety While Traveling

We always take our kitty Reno with us on the longer trips and we have one of those cat carriers that attaches to wheels so that you can stroll them around while you are parked. We put him in the carrier and attach it with bungi cords so that in case of sudden stop he does not fly forward. The carrier is mesh and he is in the space between the two front seats so he is happy being near us and most of the time naps.
Any better/other ways you are doing it?

Hello.

Up until our last trip (just last week), our two cats were free to roam the coach. However, one of them found a hiding place behind the dashboard that we did not want her to explore ... what a job it was to get her out of there!

So from now on (while we are moving) they will be in their cat carriers. We will let them out at our rest stop areas (just in the coach, of course) to eat, walk around, etc. When we are parked I'm going to have to see what I can do to close up that space by the footfeet where she enters unders the dash. Leave it to a cat to find those tiny places. Our Ragdoll (big girl) never tries to hide, so she is our really great traveler.

I'm in Iowa and it's COLD here ... looks like an early and long winter. YIKES!

Suzi in Iowa

My cats tried to get in behind the dash too! We blocked it off with some packing material we had with us and later put a small foot stool in there to block access. My Brady loves to go under the kitchen sink! If he can find an opening he has to check it out ; )

Rocket, our 11 year old domestic shorthair loves to go camping. He usually lies on the coach floor next to my seat while I am driving. When we get to a CG he insists on us taking him for a walk every evening. He wears a harness and does not mind having a long light weight leash. Just let's go!! (and HE must lead!!) He really enjoys camping and will stand by his harness to tell us he wants out. If the door is open he just stands there and waits for one of us to put his "clothes" on him. He is also extremely vocal and is, or seems to be, talking to us all the time. Sometimes drives us nuts!!

We have two domestic shorthairs and they are free to roam. Mostly they like to crawl under the covers and sleep, but sometimes the come up and lay on the dashboard (I have a special rug there) and help us navigate.

All of our cats are free to roam in the coach, all the time. Only one, Pogo (Pogo Mau on FaceBook) goes outside. He has 4 different Kitty Holster cat harnesses that I take him for walks in, sometimes as many as 8 times a day. he usually rides either atop the living room slide out or if his sister isn't there, on the dash.

We removed the washer/dryer combo unit and added a pair of shelves to the enclosure, lined the space (25" x 25" X 25") with 1/4 inch Delrin (Polyoxymethylene) plastic, I used flexible dryer vent hose and a 36-CFM computer fan to create a negative air pressure, enclosed cat box area, that vents to the outside via the former dryer vent. Entry is through a the never used cabinet door, and a cat door cut and framed on a side wall of the enclosure.

This allows them to use the box without worry even when we're moving.

Pictures available on request...You cannot tell we have cats...Well OK, three of them on the dash at any given time whether parked or on the road might give it away, but the smell of a cat box never will...