Sign in to follow this  
rccmkc4743

New Full-timer

We have been full-timers for one week now. My question is do you belong to clubs/chapters or do you just freestyle? By that, I mean do you just look up where there is a rally and go without knowing anyone? We have never belonged to a local club because we do travel alone, but we have met others who belong to clubs (local) and thought maybe we should belong but don't want to get locked into where they go regularly. I guess what I'm asking is, Can we just sign up for a rally and go if we are in the neighborhood?

You're in luck, because FMCA facilitates many opportunities for fun and fellowship among all motorhmers.

In addition to FMCA's 10 area rallies, hundreds of chapters hold smaller-scale rallies throughout the year. FMCA chapter rallies are generally open to ALL motorhome owners, including non-chapter members.

Check FMCA.com's Association Calendar for dates, times and locations of upcoming chapter rallies, and then visit a chapter that interests you. Note that some rallies may have limited space and require reservations.

If you decide to pursue chapter membership, use the FMCA.com Chapter Search to request information from chapters that interest you.

Of course, you may also contact the Chapter Services department at chapters@fmca.com (800) 543-3622 to learn more about FMCA chapters.

Congratulations and good luck as you embark on your full-timing lifestyle.

We have always been welcome at rallies when we have attended. Sometimes we arrange with friends to be at the same rally together and other times we go on our own, not knowing anyone. We've attended rallies where everyone was welcoming and friendly and occasionally we've been to rallies where we don't make many connections. For us as full timers, we travel on our own agenda and don't want to be tied to having to be in a certain place at a certain time. We belong to the Monaco International Chapter and the Full Timers Chapter and try to get to those rallies if we are "in the neighborhood." Otherwise, we take advantage of the rallies of other groups when we are near their rallies.

If you enjoy rallies, make them a bigger part of your plans. If you don't find them to fit your style, you certainly don't have to feel like you should be attending them. If you find a group that you really want to be a part of, make their rallies a priority. Life for the full timer is a buffet, take what you like and leave the rest for someone else!

Ive found it depends on the chapter,we tried to contact a chapter in FL. to attend there rally, e-mailed them, no response, a week later called by phone and left message, no response. just happened to be in the area where the rally was being held and showed up (i know bad move) tried to contact the person in charge, (guess what they werent there, right). Ive found that there are some chapters that just dont want other fmca members that are not a member of there local one to attendl. so fare we havent been able to attend any local chapter rallys. this will be my last compaint, ill not bother any of you-all again.

gary

Ive found it depends on the chapter,we tried to contact a chapter in FL. to attend there rally, e-mailed them, no response, a week later called by phone and left message, no response. just happened to be in the area where the rally was being held and showed up (i know bad move) tried to contact the person in charge, (guess what they werent there, right). Ive found that there are some chapters that just dont want other fmca members that are not a member of there local one to attendl. so fare we havent been able to attend any local chapter rallys. this will be my last compaint, ill not bother any of you-all again.

gary

Hi Gary.

I wouldn't say you're "bothering" anybody, you've got some valid concerns there. That would really bother me if a chapter neglected to respond to a contact I'd initiated too. I probably goofed in that respect with someone that tried to contact our Maestros chapter also. My wife had a paper letter sent to her from National alerting us to the fact that someone wanted to know more about our chapter, it got misplaced, and then found again 3 months later. I did reply, but I never got a response in return.

The Pioneers chapter here in the Midwest is pretty active and they return all inquiries, and seem to be a pretty good bunch. So far we haven't been able to connect with any of their rallies, but we have been told we're welcome if we can.

Don't give up on finding a chapter if you'd like to join one yet. Thanks.

Dan

Dan , I too am a Navy Vet. 4 years active. Almost shipped over but got married instead.

1st year boot camp and training I was a radioman. 2 years in Hawaii, Admir. personal radioman. (Hawaii, I know, but someone had to do it). Last year on the USS Navasota, home port Long Beach CA. We spent half our time in the Phill. and the tonka gulf in V.N. The ship only took one hit from shore. Someone thought they could sink us with a motor shell. A little paint, good as new.

gary

Dan , I too am a Navy Vet. 4 years active. Almost shipped over but got married instead.

1st year boot camp and training I was a radioman. 2 years in Hawaii, Admir. personal radioman. (Hawaii, I know, but someone had to do it). Last year on the USS Navasota, home port Long Beach CA. We spent half our time in the Phill. and the tonka gulf in V.N. The ship only took one hit from shore. Someone thought they could sink us with a motor shell. A little paint, good as new.

gary

Yeah, my DW and I met in Propulsion Eng Schools Command, Great Lakes and got married in San Diego. I finagled a split sea tour to go with her to Hawaii, otherwise I would probably wouldn't have seen her for most of my first hitch. as it was, I was home for 92 days in our first two years. We weathered the storms of active duty and frequent deployments, extended deployments and so on, and all of a sudden, we realized that this year will mark 35 years of marriage. don't know where it all went to.

Hope to see you guys at the Midwest area rally in June; it's at the Walworth county fairgrounds in Elkhorn, WI.

Dan

(we're hoping to be full timers in 5 years)

Wow sounds familiar, we have been married 44years,45 in June. Put our house up for sale in June and sold it Dec 11. Haven't been fulltimeing long. Plan on five years to see if we like it or not. Most people I talk to say something of the same thing and ended up fulltiming for 10 or more years, we will see, just knew if I didn't do it I would always wonder if I should have. I bounced back and forth if I should sell or not, finally the wife said I need to make a decision on what were going to do. Decided to put the house on the market, if it sold we fulltime if not we stay put, were fulltiming. been at this campground in FL. a month and will probably stay another month. Funny you mentioned music, I'm learning to play the guitar, I have a hollowbody electric, have all the books etc. My daughters boyfriend in Miss. is realy good at the guitar, violin, etc. he plays with other groups in the area. Every time we go to visit we practice, he has been teaching me a lot. My granddaughter is taking lessions, shes moving along fast.

Maybe we'll cross paths sometime.

Gary

Hey Gary,

That sounds like a plan. With all we've got going this year we're only making the one rally, the MidWest area rally. I teach motorcycle safety in the summer as well, I'm trying to offset my deficit spending and pay off the credit card I used to re-engine my coach last year. If you look in the photo section, you can see what a job that was (I did it in my driveway :) ).

Hope to see you guys sometime, keep the shiny side up! :rolleyes:

Gary,

Just wanted to post and welcome you and your wife.

My hubby and I have been fulltiming for 7.5 years and we are both Veterans: Jim was Air Force and I was Navy back in the late 60's early 70's.

I was sorry to read of your frustrated effort to attend a Rally. I'm sure many other FMCA Members would be rather upset for you as well.

There probably are Chapters that don't make the efforts they should and maybe skittish with newcomers? But, there was no excuse for what you experienced.

I hope you will try another Rally and it will exceed your expectations.

You are part of this Family- the first word of FMCA.

Safe travels, with lots of smiles along those miles!

I’m looking forward to taking this lifestyle but it is a challenge after so many years of living in one place. The paperwork is only the start of it. But from what I’ve heard, it’s a challenge worth overcoming. I’m so glad I found this forum; it’s one of the best.

I am a single woman who is about to start full timing with my dog, Loki, as my co-pilot. I am so glad you have this forum for full-timers. In a weird way it is reassuring to read that other full timers have numerous questions and a belly full of butterflies too.My granddaughter and her family are living in my home so I am able to leave a lot of things with them, like pictures and other useless sentimental objects that I do not want weighing down my motor-home. I am about to embark from California to Arizona and am slightly nervous. I took a month long trip up in northern California and learned a lot. For instance, the RV parks are quite a way from down town and I sometimes feel stuck.  Guess I am going to have to get a tow vehicle so I won't feel stuck.