RelationshipDoc

Planning for 2016 to Glacier NP

Question

I am planning now for a trip to Glacier NP in June & July 2016. I have never been in the Rockies, though I have driven the the Appalachians in the East. We plan to drive from Alabama to see family in Denver (2-3 days there), and go to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons (5-7 days there), Glacier (2-3 days there), and then Mount Rushmore/Crazy Horse (3 days). We could do it in that order or we could go in the reverse. What would be the best way to get from Yellowstone to Glacier? That will be important as I look for campgrounds. Some people seem to like West Yellowstone, some seem to like other areas. The way to get from Yellowstone to Glacier will influence which campgrounds I try to get into. I do know to take it easy and not plan for more than 300 miles in any day - probably less in the mountains. Any suggestions you can give will be most appreciated.

Wayne

Alfa SeeYa 38'

2012 Ford Focus Toad

We like Colter Bay Campground with full hook ups which is just into the Tetons north end. From there you can travel day trips in your auto to the north end of Yellowstone or south end of Tetons. If you like western music, there is one of the FLYING ? western dinner and music ranches. Glacier's Going to the Sun Road across usually isn't open until about July 1st. I don't think you can take the motor home across, but if you don't want to drive your auto, they have vintage tour busses to make the trip across and back. If you are there when the whole road isn't open you can drive part way and turn around. We like the east side best due to scenery. The west side is more of a tourist trap, my opinion. Since you will be in Denver, you might consider stopping for a few days at Rocky Mountain NP in Estes Park, CO. Drive across and back in you auto to see all the scenery. Fall River Road, gravel, usually opens about July 4th and return to Estes Park via Trail Ridge Road, paved, which should be open.

Thanks for the tips. We had planned on using the car for most of the trips and not trying to sight-see via motorhome. Hadn't considered that all of Glacier wouldn't be open by June, but I should have known from the time I was stationed in northern New York, 20 miles south of the Canadian border, while I was in the Air Force. So, from Colter Bay I assume you go west to I-15 and then north to I-90 to get to Glacier. But how do you get from Colter Bay to I-15? On my maps I don't see any major roads. Your motorhome is about the same size as mine, so if you can make it I can.

Wayne Perry

2004 Alfa SeeYa 38'

Cat 3126E 330 HP

Either US 26 or 89 going south out of Jackson will get you there. We have used both. Not interstate, but good roads. Forgot to mention, take a float trip in the Tetons. Choose the last one on the day you want to go, more wildlife to see. This is not whitewater, but an easy drift down stream with a guide piloting the float the whole trip. We have taken a trip three times, two on the north end and one on the south. You can get a card of the details from one of the "What to See and Do" racks.

Thanks! I'll add the float trip to my must-do list. I appreciate that bit of info. And now I know what roads to look at so this is looking better and better. I appreciate your suggestions.

I am planning now for a trip to Glacier NP in June & July 2016. I have never been in the Rockies, though I have driven the the Appalachians in the East. We plan to drive from Alabama to see family in Denver (2-3 days there), and go to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons (5-7 days there), Glacier (2-3 days there), and then Mount Rushmore/Crazy Horse (3 days). We could do it in that order or we could go in the reverse. What would be the best way to get from Yellowstone to Glacier? That will be important as I look for campgrounds. Some people seem to like West Yellowstone, some seem to like other areas. The way to get from Yellowstone to Glacier will influence which campgrounds I try to get into. I do know to take it easy and not plan for more than 300 miles in any day - probably less in the mountains. Any suggestions you can give will be most appreciated.

Wayne

Alfa SeeYa 38'

2012 Ford Focus Toad

Just my opinion but if you are going to Denver I would go to Mount Rushmore/Crazy Horse area before going to Yellowstone. Don't forget the Custer Battlefield in between Rushmore and Yellowstone.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. That is certainly an option. I do plan to go to Little Bighorn Battlefield, too, as you suggested. I just know from what others have said that I will need to make my reservations for campgrounds and some special activities months in advance. That is why I am trying to plan all of this out now. If I were to wait until next April or May, I might not be able to get reservations. Keep those suggestions coming. This is very helpful.

Thanks, Bill. That is certainly an option. I do plan to go to Little Bighorn Battlefield, too, as you suggested. I just know from what others have said that I will need to make my reservations for campgrounds and some special activities months in advance. That is why I am trying to plan all of this out now. If I were to wait until next April or May, I might not be able to get reservations. Keep those suggestions coming. This is very helpful.

I stay outside the parks and drive the toad into the parks. The only exception was at The Grand Canyon where I was able to get into their RV Village in the park.

Now back to your trip. Hear is the rout I used last summer (in reverse order) From Denver I used I76 to Sterling then 138/19 to Sidney and stay at the Cabelas RV park at their flagship store /world headquarters. Then take 385 to 79 to Rapid City. When you are done there take 90 west The Bighorn Battlefield. From there continue West on 90 to Livingston MT I then went south on 89 to Yellowstone. We stayed at Yellowstone's Edge RV Park. From there drove the toad into the park.

You could relocate south of Yellowstone for easier access to the Tetons. I don't have any experience there.

To go to Glacier I would head west from Yellowstone on 90 to just West of Missoula where 93 heads north to Glacier Good place to stop is Bob & Mary's RV park at the 93 exit.

Here is contact info for most of the places:

Near The Bighorn Battlefield

7th Ranch RV Camp I-90 S Exit ,514 Reno Creek Rd, Garryowen, MT 59031,(406) 638-2438

Yellowstone's Edge RV Park, 3502 US-89, Livingston, MT 59047, (406) 333-4036

Jim & Mary's RV Park, 9800 US-93, Missoula, MT 59808, (406) 549-4416

Bill

Bill, we are starting from the Montgomery, Alabama area and will probably take the most direct route to Denver (actually near Fort Collins - we have family in that area). And I do very much appreciate your detail of your trip. That is most helpful. The big question is how did you get from Yellowstone to I-90 to go to Glacier? What are the roads like on that side of the mountains?

Thanks for your help here.

Wayne

Bill, we are starting from the Montgomery, Alabama area and will probably take the most direct route to Denver (actually near Fort Collins - we have family in that area). And I do very much appreciate your detail of your trip. That is most helpful. The big question is how did you get from Yellowstone to I-90 to go to Glacier? What are the roads like on that side of the mountains?

Thanks for your help here.

Wayne

Wayne,

If you are going to be in the Fort Collins area north of Denver I would go East on I 80 to Cabela's Then take 385 to 79 to Rapid City to Mount Rushmore area.

I was traveling the other direction from the Washington coast. I had several people tell me the easiest way into Yellowstone was from the north one lives in the area so that is how/why I went in the way I did. I 90 to Livingston Montana from The Bighorn Battlefield then south on 89 to Yellowstone. To get to Glacier just get back on I 90 West.

The roads aren't that different than driving in the East. We just drove from Ft Worth to DC I 30 to Little rock then I 40 to I 81 then 66 to the beltway. Lots of hills in the East to. I am tired tonight spent all day in the American history Museum.

Have you picked a route from home to Denver?

Bill

I just moved to New York from North Dakota, where I lived for 20 years. If you are traveling to Glacier, I would suggest avoiding traveling through northern North Dakota (Highway 2). This is because of all the traffic and challenges the Western part of the state is experiencing due to the oil boom.

I would suggest Interstate 94 from Fargo to the Montana border. I would also be very careful traveling through western ND and eastern Montana for the same reason.

Along with the oil boom, there are also lots of dangerous elements such as gangs, drugs, transient populations, and more. Just pay attention and plan your stops.

Bismarck is a great city and has a nice KOA. You should stay there, and then the following day, head for Billings Montana, also another good KOA.

Tony, great tips. Thank you. I had not thought about the oil boom and what that can mean.

Bill, I haven't really thought much about the trip home. We don't need to return through the Denver/Fort Collins area. Based on the route you proposed, I would want to stop off in Cody and Thermopolis on the way home - the Wyoming tourist book makes it seem like those are sights to see. Not sure what else would be a do-not-miss between Northwest Montana and Alabama.

Tony, great tips. Thank you. I had not thought about the oil boom and what that can mean.

Bill, I haven't really thought much about the trip home. We don't need to return through the Denver/Fort Collins area. Based on the route you proposed, I would want to stop off in Cody and Thermopolis on the way home - the Wyoming tourist book makes it seem like those are sights to see. Not sure what else would be a do-not-miss between Northwest Montana and Alabama.

I was talking about from Montgomery, Alabama to Denver.

Ross, don't know anything about the CM Russell museum in Great Falls. I'll definitely have to look it up. We are already planning to spend a day or two in Cody. And maybe a day a bit further south in Thermopolis. Supposed to be the world's largest hot springs there. We have a total of 45 days allocated to this trip, so we want to see what we can in that time period. Living in Alabama, going west of Texas is a major trip for us.

I would definitely do the reverse order to insure that all of Glacier NP is open.

Denver then Rushmore and across to Little Big Horn. then over to Yellowstone/Tetons. on the east side of Glacier Aspire we stay at St Mary KOA. Great park just at the east end of Going To The Sun Road.

From the east side you can go to Two Medicine, Many Glacier and Chief Mountain. Going across Going To The Sun takes you to Logan Pass and down to McDonald Lake.

All of these offer the chance of seeing black and grizzly bears, elk, moose and mountain goats. You can probably tell I love Glacier.

We are going there the very end of June this year hoping it will all be open.

Have a great, safe trip.

Ed

2012 Entegra Aspire 42

Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

Glacier Park--From I-15 to West Glacier you can take Hwy 2 to West Glacier. Last time we were their we stayed in the park at Fish Creek no hook ups, at that time we had a 36ft MH. Another time we stayed at a KOA in West Glacier. A nice day trip is to go to Whitefish, it's a neat little town. Also you CAN'T take your RV across the Hwy Going to the Sun.

We have been on Hwy 83 and 93.

Yellowstone -- We like West Yellowstone, we like staying at Madison Junction (no hook ups) at West Thumb in the park. In the evening you can hear the Elks, and they walk through the campsites. You can get in your car drive back toward West Yellowstone about 3 or 4 miles to see the Elks there too. The last time that we were at Yellowstone we couldn't get in the campground, very disappointing. We stayed just about 2 miles north of West Yellowstone, I think it was a forest service it was nice. I like to shop and West Yellowstone is cute. We have stayed at Fishing Bridge at the RV park, it's OK. We enjoy driving around everywhere in the park.

A nice day trip is Nevada City and Virginia City.

If you want to do a side trip up or down from Glacier to Yellowstone you can stop at Lewis and Clack Caverns it's near I-90 between Butte and Bozeman they are nice to see.

Grand Teton--- we stay at Colter Bay, we also like drive to Jackson

A side trip is Cody WY Buffalo Bill Historical Center and Trail Town. The Hwy 14,16 20 is good from Sheridan

Rushmore --We stayed near Keystone. We like to drive around a lot, must drive the Needle Hwy to Iron Mountain Rd you will see the donkeys. You also can see the Wind Cave NP and Jewel Cave NM.

I retired from AAA I worked in Touring and Travel.

We went back down to a 32ft MH much happier.

Have Fun

Cynthia

We are also planning a trip to the same area in 2016, probably between June and Sept. My daughter bought a log cabin on 8 acres in Columbia Falls which is about 20 miles south of White Fish by the gnp. and we want to visit with her. We sold our DP Airstream and bought an Allegro Open Road gasser and my concern is the steep grades without airbrakes since I don't have any experience for braking. I plan on buying the publication which shows the grades so I can plan to avoid steep ones. The other posts were interesting which gives us ideas on where to stay and go when we get out there. We will be coming from SW Fla. and want to pass thru Vegas on our way back home. If anybody has any sage advice about how to handle braking with a gasser, please do. We travel with our 3 kids, Savannah a golden, Sunny Boy Love a typical Yorkie and Dawg, a 13 or 14 year old Shih Tzu. This will be my bucket trip as I will be almost 79 by the time we make the trip and looking forward to the experience.

Wayne,

Sounds like you were in Plattsburgh in the Air Force??? Any ties to the Perry family in Morrisonville? I worked with a Russ Perry from Morrisonville while in DC. Just asking. Sounds like you've got a great trip lanned. Good luck and be safe.

Dennis & Debbie Doody

2013 Tiffin Allegro RED

Jeep Cherokee toad

Plattsburgh, NY

Make reservations . We did that trip and ended up staying in parking lots and on the street. It is really crowded that time of year. But we had a great time. Kathy & Tom

Good points. That is why I am planning a year in advance. To be able to make reservations, I need to know where I going. E.g., Yellowstone - north, east or west? Tetons before or after Yellowstone? Lots of details for this 45 day trip.

Hi I just finished a week long trip to Glacier and it is very beautiful but crowded. If you are coming this far cross the border into the Canmore Alberta area. You will not be disappointed. It makes the American Rockies look sick and the wildlife is superb. One thing you must do is take the road the Lake Moraine and when you round the last curve your jaw will drop and you will fell like someone slapped you in the face. I won't tell you what to expect, you have to see it in person. One of the most memorable things that I have ever seen.