RelationshipDoc

Planning for 2016 to Glacier NP

Question

I am planning now for a trip to Glacier NP in June & July 2016. I have never been in the Rockies, though I have driven the the Appalachians in the East. We plan to drive from Alabama to see family in Denver (2-3 days there), and go to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons (5-7 days there), Glacier (2-3 days there), and then Mount Rushmore/Crazy Horse (3 days). We could do it in that order or we could go in the reverse. What would be the best way to get from Yellowstone to Glacier? That will be important as I look for campgrounds. Some people seem to like West Yellowstone, some seem to like other areas. The way to get from Yellowstone to Glacier will influence which campgrounds I try to get into. I do know to take it easy and not plan for more than 300 miles in any day - probably less in the mountains. Any suggestions you can give will be most appreciated.

Wayne

Alfa SeeYa 38'

2012 Ford Focus Toad

Hello everyone, this is a great topic as my wife and I are planning this similar trip this year.

We are coming from central Florida and going to Sturgis, SD MC rally in early August then going up to Medora, ND for a couple of days then on 94 over to great falls, MT KOA via route 200.

Then up to West Glacier KOA via route 15 and then US 2. Onward to Flathead lake/Woods Bay for a couple days of fishing via US 2 and 93/82/35 then heading down 93 to 90 and 191 to Big Sky and then back up to 90 to begin our journey across the northern US states to Cleveland, OH then eventually back to Florida.

We are driving a 45' DP and towing a 20' toy trailer and my big question is my planned route a safe route to travel with my coach size and trailer? Last thing I want to experience is hairpin turns on the side of a mountain!

I've read all of your posts when I got this email this morning on the topic and thought it was perfect timing. I appreciate any advice or concerns i should be aware of and of course special places to go and see when we get there.

Thank you so much!!

Hi I just finished a week long trip to Glacier and it is very beautiful but crowded. If you are coming this far cross the border into the Canmore Alberta area. You will not be disappointed. It makes the American Rockies look sick and the wildlife is superb. One thing you must do is take the road the Lake Moraine and when you round the last curve your jaw will drop and you will fell like someone slapped you in the face. I won't tell you what to expect, you have to see it in person. One of the most memorable things that I have ever seen.

Thank you! I was planning to have my passports just in case - now I will make it more than a "just in case." I appreciate the tip and I'll add this to the "must-do" list.

We are also planning a trip in this area next year and appreciate all your input. However, I would like to know if anyone can tell me about the route to Cody, either along Highway 16 out of Buffalo or along Highway 14 out of Sheridan. We have a 40' Winnebago Vectra and will be towing and my husband is hesitant about taking one of these routes because of the mountainous terrain. Have heard NOT to take 14A in the RV. Also, when leaving Cody, how is the Highway 310 route north from Greybull as we will be heading toward Glacier from there?

Sandy from Mobile, Alabama

Winnebago Vectra

Towing Honda CR-V

Sandy:

We are also headed out that way Spring of '16. Have been there in a car, but not a motor coach. SoI started searching the blogs in FMCA.

Mark Quasius wrote an article in RV TECHMAG about the "very roads" you are considering, as well as, others. This is a definiate read. It changed my timing for the trip as well as the route. Route 16 is the one to take, but read is entire article about Yellowstone, Cody and other areas. I found marks article "today" in this blog on about page 3.

Good Traveling

From Glacier Drive Going to the Sun in AM go into Canada an visit Waterton Lakes National park, there take boat ride back in to USA.

You have Your Golden Age Passport I hope

Thanks for the input. Will probably route us to Cody via Highway 16. We are going to be in Cody the end of August, then spend a week at Yellowstone's Edge Campground north of Yellowstone, and from there go to St. Mary's KOA in east Glacier in September -- heard it's a bit less crowded up there then. We do plan to do a day trip to Canada and like your idea of the boat ride. Yes, we do have our Golden Age Passports.

Sandy (Mobile, AL)

Stayed at Yellowstone's Edge last year. I thought it worked great. I liked watching the river roll by and the fishing guides working the river. Interesting little factoid, the river flows North out of the park.

Bill