promethias

Supplemental Toad Connect/Disconnect Lights

We got home from our most recent MH trip well after dark, after stopping to help someone that had rolled their car. Normally, we try to not be on the road when the sun goes down, but this time it was unavoidable. It was also the first time ever disconnecting the toad without the benefit of daylight.

Toad parking lights helped, but the situation made me think how helpful some lights mounted high on the back of the bus would have been, not only in this scenario, but if it was necessary or desirable to light up the rear of the bus for any other reason. I decided to get two led light strips and mount them under the uppermost engine access hatch cross bar, facing down, and wired to the cargo bin master light switch inside the coach. Project now complete and working. The lights are barely noticeable when off, made of clear plastic, but in the darkness of our bus garage they produce a great deal of light down toward the tow hitch and area behind the MH, that does not shine right in my eyes.

Thought someone else might be interested in the idea.

By the way, the lady that rolled her car right in front of us suffered only minor scrapes and bruises, thanks to airbags and seatbelt. The car was a total loss.

Carry on.

There are area work lights that are about 8"dia and usually mounted flat on the drivers side to make it easier to hook or unhook utilities. One or two of those could be mounted on the rear of the coach. You may be able to find a standard porch lite to mount on the rear. Any light you add, you would want to be sure they cannot come on while driving.

Desert and Ross,
Really appreciate you taking the time to comment. I did consider wiring the ship's backup lights to a separate switch to provide light, but settled on wiring new lights to the lower bin system that has a harness extension and light in the engine compartment that is very accessible, and the master bin light switch is on our checklist for departure so I don't leave them on to blind people behind, even though they are down-firing lights.

The lights I installed blend-in to the rear of the coach really well and could be easily considered something that came from Newmar on a new MH.

The current arrangement lets me turn the lights on without stepping outside and then observe through the rear camera. Combined with the side security lights on either side, docking lights on either side and, if necessary, headlights, I can now light-up the entire perimeter of the MH to see what might be happening without leaving the relative comfort and safety of being inside.

Of course the main reason for this modification was to have ample working light if I ever have to deal with connecting or disconnecting the Jeep in the dark again, or to check on the hitch apparatus during a pit stop in the dark.

Again, we always plan to avoid being on the road before the sun sets, but sometimes stuff just happens.

One day I'll learn to upload a picture or at least provide a link to a picture.

Thanks again for your comments and recommendations, they are appreciated.