Sign in to follow this  
F448844

GCWR

How many of you actually know what your GCW (gross combination weight) is? Also how many run over the GCWR (gross combination weight rating). I just weighed my MH and toad and I am just 300# under with full water and fuel.The Subaru only weighs 3000# and I see coaches similar to ours pulling much larger vehicles. Also has anyone been stopped to be weighed by state patrol or gotten a ticket for being overweight.

My coach (2013 winnebago adventurer 35P) has a GVWR = 22,000# and GCWR = 26,000#
I just weighed at a Cat scale fully loaded water, propane and fuel
steer axle = 6,860#
drive axle = 15,529#
GVW = 22,389# (389# over)
toad = 3,340#
GCW = 25,720# (280# Under)

I weigh at a CAT scale a few weeks ago with full water and fuel and had 800 lbs to spare. Not so much on front axles room with most on rear axles which is good news for me.

Vicki and Ed,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Yes, lots of weight limits on RV's.

GAWR= Gross Axle Weight Rating= how much each axle can carry

GVWR= Gross Vehicle Weight Rating= how much the loaded motorhome can weight (not always the sum of the axle ratings, as brakes, transmission, etc can be the limiting factor

GCWR= Gross Combined Weight Rating= how much the combined weight of motorhome and toad can weight. This assumes that the toad has its own (supplemental) brakes.

We weigh our coach every several years just to be sure we're OK. I haven't had a problem with weight since we purchased our current coach. The GVWR for our coach is 37,600 and the GCWR is 47,600. As of the last weighing in 2013 at Gillette, WY, I had 1850 pounds to spare on the front axle, 2650 to spare on the rear axle, 1175 to spare on the tow bar rating and 9675 to spare on the GCWR.

These figures are from the Recreational Vehicle Safety Education Foundation (RVSEF) which does individual wheel weights and a thorough summary of your vehicle weight information. The RVSEF also does excellent safety workshops at every FMCA National Convention. When you do the weighing, they include a tire inflation table for your tires so you can easily look up the required tire pressure to ensure you have your tires properly inflated for their load. If you haven't had this done, I highly recommend it. The cost is nominal and the report is essential information for every motor home owner.

I know my GVWR (34,600) and GCWR (46,600) and with a 5000 lb toad don't even come close to exceeding GCWR. My rear axle weight is very close to the 20,000 lb rear GAWR, but the front is 2000 lb under the 14,600 lb front GAWR. I haven't weighed it in 4-5 years now, so need to get an update.

I have not heard of a Motorhome being weighed by a state official anywhere? My unit with full fuel, 3/4 water which is 90 gal, full propane, me at the wheel, no one else onboard, no cargo is 26,500. GVWR is 29,500. Axles were fine with more to go.

GCWR is 36,500. My toad, Subaru Forester weighs 3400. There are so many trucks out there to weigh unless they are bored, why would they weigh an RV? Not saying it hasn't happened, but I have not seen it. 46 years plus behind the wheel of an eighteen wheeler and as the old Johnny Cash song goes "I Have Been Everwhere."

Actually the states are only concerned with each axle not being overweight, and gross weight according to that states weight limits.

Some states are 20,000#, and some are 22,000# per axle, unless in some cases a local weight limit. Thats why you hardly ever see states weighing RV's. They can't possibly know each coach's particulars.

These weights are for your personal safety, and is a personal duty to keep up with them. Yes it's a very good thing to keep up with them.

Many years ago, I hauled oranges out of Florida on an old 3/4 ton pu., I called the Fla., DOT to ask how much weight I

could haul? The gentleman at the other end of the phone laughed and said, "You don't have to worry, it's 22,000# per axle".