kaypsmith

Rear View Camera

Just installed new rear view camera system on the coach. The new one is a Chinese made ordered on Ebay, less than a hundred dollars, with two cameras and a 7 inch color monitor. This is a wired one, the last one was wireless. New one has IR night vision, the wireless one didn't have that feature.

After the install was complete with no light showing, and low moon, I was able to see 100 yards behind, and the color is almost as good as seeing in the daylight.

Kaypsmith, nice work. My wife and I considered a bus conversion up until last year when we settled for the Class A we have now.

Do you have photos of before and after?

Joe

Joe, I have many pictures, I will be glad to send some in a pm this pm.

My avatar has a few of the inside already.

Thanks, Kay

New user, first post. Go easy if I don't do it correct?

I am new to motorhomes but not RV's

I have had my 2006 Itasca Meridan just over a year.

I think the first owner installed or replaced the back up camera system.

The system in use now is wireless, and apparently not enough signal strength to make the run.

While parked with the engine off the signal has some noise, but on the road or even with the engine running it is a mess.

Just barely usable. Going down the road I can just tell if a car is behind me, not much more.

I want to convert to a wired system, but don't know if their is a easy way to run the wires inside the motorhome.

Or if I should do it along the frame.

Any thoughts?

I have looked about at the info on my motorhome and I see mention of a wire run in the ceiling (drivers side) but I don't have a clue where to get access to it?

How did you run your wires?

Thanks for any pointers.

Ronnie,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I suspect the original system was wired. I would start by looking for that wire/cable. Even if you have to use adapters between the new camera and a different style cable end, it would be a lot easier than pulling a new cable.

While doing the conversion, I installed a wire trace which makes it possible to add wires almost anywhere in or out of the bus. As Brett said if you can find the old wire it will be much easier than any other way on a motorhome.

But my old Sportscoach had a backup camera wire that became unusable, I found the easiest route was to go through the firewall where other wires were already routed, then all the way to the back under the motorhome, using black wire ties, then up to the roof under the rear cap.

If you have to resort to this method, and your coach has airbags, please put down the leveling jacks, and then for extra precaution use appropriate jack stands under the coach while you or whoever is doing this.