Sign in to follow this  
lelandjames

Tag Axle

Someone clue me in on what the tag axle does and does not do.

Do you dump the air like you do the airbags when you put the jacks down?

I have heard you need to dump the air when you are turning.

I really don't know and need the info.

Jim

From the perspective of an old trucker that pulled spread axle trailers with dump valve switches and a long time ago, tag axles on tandem truck/tractors (three axle power unit with the rear axle not powered but liftable) it would be easier on tires if you dumped the air on the tag axle when turning 90 degrees or there abouts. If there is a separate switch for the tag kinda makes me think I am right. Perhaps when you hit the dump switch before leveling all three axles deflate? Gotta think that is a fail safe program in the computer.

My two cents.

Tag axel dump is mainly used if you need better traction, such as iced condition or going in and out of some driveways and the like. Dumping the tag for turnings corners, some think is necessary to help save the life or the tag tires, but I and many others don't think it necessary. Your leveling system dump will handle any necessary dumping for leveling purposes on most coaches with hydraulic levelers. And if you use computerized air leveling, the system should level all bags.

Another two cents.

Thanks for the info. I have never dumped the tag when turning or when leveling and someone said I should. Haven't noticed any difference in the tires so personally I don't think it matters

Just one little tidbit added, I change steer axle tires every three years for safety sake, I move the three year old steers to the tag, and sell the now six year old tag tires to a local trucking company. The six year old tires by then have no weather cracks, and tread wear is very minimal. I get about $100.00 per tire for these two tires back towards the purchase of the new tires.

Great idea on the steer to tag and new steers every three. Pricey but a safety plus. By the way/ old buddy of mine worked on MCI and Prevost coaches at a local bus company. His opinion was that the MCIs were more durable.

...Great idea on the steer to tag and new steers every three...

Agree, but only if the same size. We are in the process of getting a new to us coach and the front tires are slightly larger than the other six.

Thanks for the info. I have never dumped the tag when turning or when leveling and someone said I should. Haven't noticed any difference in the tires so personally I don't think it matters

Try dumping the tag when making a turn(at low speeds), in a campground, and you will find that you can make a tighter turn, without the usual scrubbing of the tire that you can actually see on the ground.

When you have dumped the tag...when does it start airing back up?

From what I've read, at about 8-10 mph. I'm sure you can find a manufacturer PDF owners manual from Freightliner which will tell you all about how to operate it.

Roy

His Allegiance probably has a Spartan chassis rather than Freightliner.

Correct, the Allegiance is a Spartan...we're moving to a Freightliner with a tag.