Sign in to follow this  
F448844

Toad Car Takes a Beating

I have been towing my Subaru Crosstrek for about 18,000 miles.

While giving it a wash today I noticed the front end and even the hood have quit a few nicks.

I know film is not the answer but what about the various shields? :unsure:

I am getting a new toad and would like to protect it the best I can right from the start.

We have an almost eight foot wide heavy flap that hangs down from the frame only a few inches above the road surface. Our Forrester has 4,000 miles behind and not a nick on it.

I use 2 camp sleeping pads from Walmart. Cut holes for the bar attachment and hold in place with 6 ft bungee cords. Been over 200,000 miles without a nick including Alaska.

We purchased some pet screening (it is supposedly pet proof) some 1/4" shock/bungee cord (about 20') eight aluminum pitons, eight eyebolts, and made a stone guard that mounts on the back bumper of our coach and the front bumper of our Saturn Vue. We originally made it to fit on our '97 Geo Tracker but it fits the Vue as well.

The shock cord slides into sewn tubes around the periphery of the screen and the pitons go on the corners and on the vehicles narrower points inboard of the corner pitons. This allows the cord to stretch and/or slide when going around corners.
Not a nick or dent since we made it!! Sorry, no pictures. The coach is in storage 19 miles away and the owner is in Texas.

Brett

The only picture that displays the flap in my collection is too large a file to post. Our Phaeton, with Subaru in tow, atop Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado. I will take a closeup in the next day or two. I guess I can post it to this thread??

We are in the process of buying a Honda Fit, any ideas to protect it from damage when towed 4 wheels down.

I like the cheap idea of the Walmart camping pads but I don't understand how to attach it.

Can you include a picture

We are in the process of buying a Honda Fit, any ideas to protect it from damage when towed 4 wheels down.

I like the cheap idea of the Walmart camping pads but I don't understand how to attach it.

Can you include a picture

They are about 6 ft long and one goes across the upper half and the other overlaps and goes across the lower. 4 6 ft bungee cords hook from one fender well across to the other fender well.