BearAndMoon

Illuminated Grab Handles

As with many RVs, our class A has an illuminated clear acrylic (Plexiglass) grab handle next to the entry door. Over the years, UV and improper cleaning has caused it to form micro-fractures which over the past few years have increased in number and size.

I've not bothered with replacing it, until the lights burned out last week.

I work with acrylics, and can easily create a multi colored replacement, and take great joy in doing so. I can also replace it with another clear one, or as my wife wants, a clear red one (We have some in stock right now) I'll admit, I like the idea of a red one also.

My question is this: Would it be legal?

Since the lights would not be on unless we were stopped, I'd think we'd be OK, however there are some strange laws when it comes to motor vehicles.

Any thoughts?

How about clear and use rgb led's, that way you can dial whatever color you like for any occasion. Just a personal opinion, but I don't think red will be a problem as long as you are not moving on any highway.

Handle%202.jpg

Took a bit longer than I thought, the lower bracket was filled with water which was slowly getting into the coach via the screw holes. I took care of that, and with the use of a copious amount of RTV silicone, made sure it would not be a problem in the future. The handle now has a gasket to keep any water from getting into the brackets. 1/2 hour, total time involved.

Handle%202.jpg

Took a bit longer than I thought, the lower bracket was filled with water which was slowly getting into the coach via the screw holes. I took care of that, and with the use of a copious amount of RTV silicone, made sure it would not be a problem in the future. The handle now has a gasket to keep any water from getting into the brackets. 1/2 hour, total time involved.

Can you provide some details on how you accomplished this? Especially the gasket?

Wayne,

For things like gaskets you can purchase thin rubber from several places. I use a place in Dallas, Texas Rubber Products. They have a area where they sell drops from production jobs. It can be 1/16' by 2" by 30' or something like that. I just go in find what I think will work and pay a very reasonable price. There may a place like that near you, Houston isn't it?

Herman

Could anyone tell me if I could replace my non lighted grab bar for a lighted one.

I guess I would have to put in a switch, but I have a receptacle by the door I could run power from,,,hmmmm, I wonder if I could do that, but would still have to install a wall switch. Just thinking out loud but what do you think ????

I made my gaskets using black RTV silicone. Then I used more to seal the bar inside the bracket mount as well. I believe in overkill. I'm going to take the whole thing apart again so I can add a second light at the bottom end, and switch over to LEDs. I just ordered several different colours of pearlescent plexiglass sheet in 1/8 inch, so I'm thinking of adding a back plate to the handle bracket assembly, with our name etched into it.

As to adding a light to an unlighted handle, my first step would be to make sure the brackets will allow for it....

royclem, to answer you question YES. The toughest part in my eyes would be locating an illuminated handle assembley that fits over your existing mounting holes so they do not have to be filled in. All of the handles I have seen are 12volt DC and most are LED so the next task would be to locate a 12v source close to the area where the handle is mounted.

nwrv supply has them listed on their web site, I have called them before for measurements on items prior to purchasing and i am sure there are other RV supply places you can look into also.

Joe

royclem, to answer you question YES. The toughest part in my eyes would be locating an illuminated handle assembley that fits over your existing mounting holes so they do not have to be filled in. All of the handles I have seen are 12volt DC and most are LED so the next task would be to locate a 12v source close to the area where the handle is mounted.

nwrv supply has them listed on their web site, I have called them before for measurements on items prior to purchasing and i am sure there are other RV supply places you can look into also.

Joe

Thanks Joe good info I'll Measure and call

Wayne,

For things like gaskets you can purchase thin rubber from several places. I use a place in Dallas, Texas Rubber Products. They have a area where they sell drops from production jobs. It can be 1/16' by 2" by 30' or something like that. I just go in find what I think will work and pay a very reasonable price. There may a place like that near you, Houston isn't it?

Herman

Thanks Herman. Houston is the biggest city near us here in Texas City. I also have a bunch of o-rings from SCUBA regulator repair days of various sizes, however I like the black RTV way - easier.

I made my gaskets using black RTV silicone. Then I used more to seal the bar inside the bracket mount as well. I believe in overkill. I'm going to take the whole thing apart again so I can add a second light at the bottom end, and switch over to LEDs. I just ordered several different colours of pearlescent plexiglass sheet in 1/8 inch, so I'm thinking of adding a back plate to the handle bracket assembly, with our name etched into it.

As to adding a light to an unlighted handle, my first step would be to make sure the brackets will allow for it....

Thanks for the follow up. Friend made a non-illuminating handle into a illuminating one by just adding LED at the handle end.

As to how I accomplished it: I have a hobby business that I use both acrylic rods and sheet goods in. I have the 1 inch rod in red, blue, green, orange, yellow, and violet, as well as clear.

I removed the handle from the coach and cut a length of Red to size, then duplicated the bevels at the ends, using a band saw. I sanded the ends and buffed them smooth.

Using an erasable marker, I drew a line around the new handle where it went into the brackets. I then ran a bead of black RTV silicone 3/16 inch under that line and let it dry.

When it was dry (A day or so) I peeled it off, rolling it down to the ends. slipping the rod into the bracket with the gasket in place. It was a PITA to do, even with the added fresh silicone to make sure I got a good seal on the bottom bracket (I wanted to make sure it never leaks again). Then I reassembled the whole thing and remounted it to the coach.

Once that was done, I used a smaller nozzle tip on the tube of RTV. I ran a bead of silicone around the handle where it meets the bracket, and wiped off the excess, just to be absolutely sure it was weatherproof.

If there's one thing I've learned about owning one of these it's that water is the enemy, and a good defence is a great offence.

From what I could tell, there was another handle on this coach before this one.

There are older, now disused screw holes. They are hidden under the handle brackets. I filled them with two part epoxy resin, and ran a bead of RTV around them before replacing the brackets.

I maintain the thought that, if you even think it might leak, seal it....

Did you use two LED's one on top and one on bottom?

No, and I should have. I'm having a piece of Pearlescent Plexiglas laser cut in a custom design soon, to use as a back plate for the handle. Not sure what color yet. Whatever it is will compliment the full body paint job the wife and I are discussing/designing for next year or the year after.

When I remove the handle brackets to put in the back plate I intend to wire in a second light socket and install a pair of LEDs at the bottom and top. Just the single incandescent light does a fairly decent job of illuminating the handle though, so there's no rush.

We hit the road in 6 weeks and there are other, more pressing jobs to complete, like getting the old fridge out, and the new one in.

I have to be in Spokane, Washington the second week of August for WorldCon, then it's wherever the road takes us. Maybe the park in Morro Bay will let me do a bit of work on the coach over the winter.....

Did you use two LED's one on top and one on bottom?

Roy, I replaced the LED in each of my handles (one inside and one outside) they were only equipped with one at the top, they light up the entire handle