JohnandKris

License For Motorhome Over 26,000 pounds

Does anyone have firsthand experience as to what license to operate a vehicle OVER 26,000 pounds is required in the states of VA or TN, GA, AL , KY or WVa.?

It is confusing when you view the FMCA list and then go to the states' DMV as there is huge disagreement when one looks at the details in the requirements book.

Thanks.

John Burke, Aiken S.C.

Guest Wayne77590

John,

This has been an ongoing topic for years.

Let me provide you with a web site that "may" help in determining the type of license you require.

RV License

Now, as I know it, if you are licensed correctly in the state you reside in, then you are licensed correctly in any state you drive through. I don't know about Canada or Mexico. It is a reciprocal agreement between States.

Good luck.

Canada is the same. If you hold an out-of-country drivers license and are legal where the license is issued, you are allowed to operate the same vehicle on our roads, Here in Ontario I must have a Class D(a heavy truck license) plus a Z endorsement(air brake qualified) to operate mine-29,000 lbs with air brakes. However my son with regular Alberta license is legal to drive it. Point of interest-that son of mine has been transferred to Fresno. Imagine that!!i

CDL, Commerical Drivers License, are required for all drivers of commercial vehicles. Class will depend on what you are driving.

This being said Section 383 of the TXDOT says,under exemptions, driver of Recreation Vehicles are exempt from the CDL requirement no mater the weight. I Have checked the states of Washington, Virgina, Oklahoma, and so. They all state the same thing under their Exemptions.

Go to any state you desire, DOT CDL Exemptions. Check it out.

When you find the page, copy it and keep it in your coach, not all Police Officers or Troopers know this.

Hope this helps

Guest Wayne77590

Herman,

You are correct. A CDL is not needed for a recreational vehicle. However, a Class A or Class B non-CDL may be required depending on the weight of the RV and/or combined weight of the RV and towed vehicle. You can search those same manuals for "Class A" without the quotes and come up with the answers. CDL Exemptions do not preclude a person from having to have the proper class license.

I'm to lazy to check it and post it here now. DW wants to go shopping.

Happy trails.

Guest Wayne77590

Okay! For Texas, check out the regular drivers license handbook pages 1-4 and 1-5, which falls under CLASSIFIED DRIVER LICENSE (Texas Transportation Code, Section 521) This is for NON-CDL classes of licenses. Pages 1-6 and 1-7 deal with Commercial Drivers Licenses (CDL) and there is an exception for recreational vehicles.

Please note that there are no exemptions for standard Class A, B, or C licenses in the section I mentioned above, only for CDL.

Also note that a Class A or B license is only required if the primary move is 26,001 pounds or greater, and the Class A is predicated on the fact that a towed vehicle will weigh 10,000 pounds or more, and a Class b is predicated on a towed vehicle being less than 10,000 pounds. I would say that the majority of towed vehicles being towed are less than 10,000 pounds so if your coach is 26,001 pounds you would need at least a Class B license to drive it, towing or not towing.

I had some time this evening.

Happy trails.

Please note that there are no exemptions for standard Class A, B, or C licenses in the section I mentioned above, only for CDL.

Also note that a Class A or B license is only required if the primary move is 26,001 pounds or greater, and the Class A is predicated on the fact that a towed vehicle will weigh 10,000 pounds or more, and a Class b is predicated on a towed vehicle being less than 10,000 pounds. I would say that the majority of towed vehicles being towed are less than 10,000 pounds so if your coach is 26,001 pounds you would need at least a Class B license to drive it, towing or not towing.

I had some time this evening.

Happy trails.

As I read the requirements for the Class 'A' I found that the prime mover (tow vehicle) and the towed (trailer) combined must exceed 26,001lbs "and" the towed (trailer) must exceed 10,000lbs. If the combination does not exceed 26,001lbs the towed (trailer) can weigh 20,000lbs and if the prime mover does not exceed 6,001lbs you do not have to get either a Class 'A' or 'B' since the combination does not exceed the 26,001lbs weight limit. For a motorhome that weighs 26,001lbs or more you are required to get a Class 'B', but if you hook up a towed (trailer) that exceeds 10,000lbs you must have a Class 'A' license.

Guest Wayne77590

MIke,

This is directly from the Texas Drivers License book, and is based on Texas Transportation Code (Section 521)

"1. Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination

of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or

more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed

is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or

Class C, except a motorcycle or moped."

As I read the above, I interpret the paragraph as such: ...any vehicle or combination..... with a gross combination rating of 26,001 pounds...provided that the towed vehicle is 10,000 pounds or more. So the statement "any vehicle," and my interpretation is any single vehicle weighing 26,001 pounds or more requires at least a class A, but only if the towed vehicle is 10,000 pounds or more. If the towed vehicle is less than 10,000 pounds then the next paragraph applies.

"2. Class B driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles,

except a motorcycle or moped:

a. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001

pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a

gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 10,000 pounds, or a

farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed

20,000 pounds;

b. a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more, including the

driver; and

c. a vehicle included in Class C."

Let's rule out b. or c. as non-applicable for recreational use. In para. 2.a. - a single unit vehicle with a goss vehicle weight rating of 26,001 punds or more. That pretty much says it all in a nutshell that a Class B license is required for any single vehicle that weights 26,001 pounds or more. (in Texas) Since the vast majority of towed vehicles for recreational purposes are less than 10,000 pounds, most licenses for a RV weighing 26,001 pounds, and a TOAD less than 10,000 pounds would require a Class B license. (In Texas) If your prime mover is 26,001 pounds and the TOAD weighs 10,000 pounds you would need the higher license, Class A. (In Texas)

Let us not forget that the only law is what is written in the state's law books and not a magazine or other publication. Also, those clerks that sit in the driver license bureau are just clerks and most that I have talked to when quoting the above regulations have to go and find an inspector for an answer.

Anyhow, everything is up to interpretation. Should a situation arise that one finds themselves in a court of law then the lawyers and judges will hash it all out. I know that I am covered for any non-commercial vehicle, other than a school bus, that is on the highway. (Even motorcycle - which I don't ride anymore)

Happy trails. Stay safe.

MIke,

This is directly from the Texas Drivers License book, and is based on Texas Transportation Code (Section 521)

"1. Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination

of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or

more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed

is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or

Class C, except a motorcycle or moped."

As I read the above, I interpret the paragraph as such: ...any vehicle or combination..... with a gross combination rating of 26,001 pounds...provided that the towed vehicle is 10,000 pounds or more. So the statement "any vehicle," and my interpretation is any single vehicle weighing 26,001 pounds or more requires at least a class A, but only if the towed vehicle is 10,000 pounds or more. If the towed vehicle is less than 10,000 pounds then the next paragraph applies.

"2. Class B driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles,

except a motorcycle or moped:

a. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001

pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a

gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 10,000 pounds, or a

farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed

20,000 pounds;

b. a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more, including the

driver; and

c. a vehicle included in Class C."

Let's rule out b. or c. as non-applicable for recreational use. In para. 2.a. - a single unit vehicle with a goss vehicle weight rating of 26,001 punds or more. That pretty much says it all in a nutshell that a Class B license is required for any single vehicle that weights 26,001 pounds or more. (in Texas) Since the vast majority of towed vehicles for recreational purposes are less than 10,000 pounds, most licenses for a RV weighing 26,001 pounds, and a TOAD less than 10,000 pounds would require a Class B license. (In Texas) If your prime mover is 26,001 pounds and the TOAD weighs 10,000 pounds you would need the higher license, Class A. (In Texas)

Let us not forget that the only law is what is written in the state's law books and not a magazine or other publication. Also, those clerks that sit in the driver license bureau are just clerks and most that I have talked to when quoting the above regulations have to go and find an inspector for an answer.

Anyhow, everything is up to interpretation. Should a situation arise that one finds themselves in a court of law then the lawyers and judges will hash it all out. I know that I am covered for any non-commercial vehicle, other than a school bus, that is on the highway. (Even motorcycle - which I don't ride anymore)

Happy trails. Stay safe.

So, we agree.

Guest Wayne77590
As I read the requirements for the Class 'A' I found that the prime mover (tow vehicle) and the towed (trailer) combined must exceed 26,001lbs "and" the towed (trailer) must exceed 10,000lbs. If the combination does not exceed 26,001lbs the towed (trailer) can weigh 20,000lbs and if the prime mover does not exceed 6,001lbs you do not have to get either a Class 'A' or 'B' since the combination does not exceed the 26,001lbs weight limit. For a motorhome that weighs 26,001lbs or more you are required to get a Class 'B', but if you hook up a towed (trailer) that exceeds 10,000lbs you must have a Class 'A' license.

I just did not read it correctly the first time. Bad on me.

Yes, we agree.

Guest Wayne77590

I was wrong once.....wait, wait... I'm sorry, i was only mistaken, I'm never wrong.

Ask my wife.

John, Most states have recipical agreements on drivers lic.

If you go to five different lic. offices you will get five different answers.

I don't know of any state thats really knows the answer. I think everyone has their own interpertation of the laws. So you know the regulations had to have neen written by Lawyers

Goog luck and safe driving

Does anyone have firsthand experience as to what license to operate a vehicle OVER 26,000 pounds is required in the states of VA or TN, GA, AL , KY or WVa.?

It is confusing when you view the FMCA list and then go to the states' DMV as there is huge disagreement when one looks at the details in the requirements book.

Thanks.

John Burke, Aiken S.C.

It's my opinion that a special license should be required for all RV's. It is sad to see a person retire well off and buy a big motorhome

and know nothing about driving a big unit. For safety sake a license should be mandatory to drive any RV, A, B, C, 5th wheel, trailer, etc.

Win Alme

AZ

I'd like to piggy back on the original question. Now that we have moved to Texas I will need a class B license to operate my 40' Class A motorhome. My husband is the sole driver of our motorhome - shame on me!! I know that I should know how to and be licensed to drive our rig for many number of reasons. What do I have to do to become licensed? Written test? Driving test? What will the driving test involve? On a course or on the road? Highway? Backing up? I'd like to know what I'm getting in for before I decide whether I should do it. My husband still has to take the tests but he isn't too concerned. Robin :rolleyes:

Have your husband take the tests and get his opinion. The best answer to your questions will come from the license bureau personnel at the location where you will take the tests. I think you'll have a written test as well as a driving test. I've heard of driving tests with RV's being given in cities or towns and also tests that were primarily on the highway. There will be a test preparation booklet that you should get in your hands right away. It will guide you through the study you need to do to pass the test. Again, see the license bureau personnel to get this book. I have one for my home state even though I don't need the advanced license. I figure it is useful knowledge or they wouldn't require it, even if only for commercial drivers.

Guest Wayne77590

Robin,

As Tom stated, pick up the test booklet. In Texas pick up the CDL test booklet. Read through it several times and answer the practice questions. When you feel confident about the questions, go to the Tx DOT license office and tell them you want a Learners Permit for a class A license. You only need a class B, but the test is the same. They will give you the written test and then a learners permit. The learners permit will allow you to drive, under certain conditions, with a valid licensed driver of the same class in your vehicle. This will give you the practice and experience to take the driving test. When you get the learners permit, ask to speak to an "Inspector." Ask them if the would not mind telling you what the driving test will entail. They will, in most cases, tell you what to expect from that testing facility. I have found that rural areas are slightly easier than big cities. My original test was taken in Pasadena, TX. Besides all the typical driving (keeping it between the lines, they will check your turns. Turning left he will be watching your mirrors also to see if your rear tires cross the middle line in the lane you are turning into. Points off if they do. Turning right he will tell you to "turn right, stay right." That is easier to demonstrate that to elaborate on here. You will have to back up for a short distance, and possibly parallel park. Again, ask the inspector.

Good luck

Let another RVer add his two cents based on experience in Illinois. For a long time I've driving my motorhome, which weighs 31,000, on my regular Class D state driving license based on advice from many sources that stated the Illinois traffic code saying RV drivers are exempt from having a CDL license as long as the vehicle is used primarily for personal use. I erroneously equated CDL with class A, B or C license. Based on the latest table published in the Jan 2010 FMCA magazine I did some more reading and checking. What I found was that I ( and many others who have addressed this issue in the past) was not reading all the information in the CDL waivers/exemptions area of the traffic code. At the beginning of the section in the Illinois code and publications you can obtain from the Illinois Secretary of State’s office, it clearly states that while drivers of certain types of vehicles are exempt from obtaining a Commercial Driver License (CDL) they are not exempt from having a license of the appropriate Class for the vehicle being driven. CDL refers to a type of license, not a class. Each type of license, commercial, non-cdl, special purpose, etc has classes of license under the type. The classes of licenses for Illinois non-cdl licenses are A through D which are based on the weight of the vehicle or vehicle combination being driven and L and M for Motor Scooters and Motorcycles. Bases on my MH weight and the weight of the vehicle I’m towing, I need a Class B License. Upgrading to a non-cdl class A, B or C license in Illinois is relatively easy. Take a 25 question written test based on standard “Rules of the Road†booklet and a second publication called “Non-CDL vehiclesâ€. Then you must pass a road test in the class of vehicle for which you are being licenced to demonstrate you can properly and safely operate the vehicle. My testing facility says it will involve a pre-drive safety check to demonstrate that the vehicle has the required equipment, and that it is working (lights, horn, seat belts, etc) and then some driving with both right and left turns on city streets, possible a short section on an open road and some straight backup driving. Keep in mind that being caught driving on an improper license can result tickets, fines, license suspensions and possibly causing your insurance to deny coverage because you were not properly licensed! I found talking to the Sec of State office responsible for managing licensing activities and facilities and the local driver testing facility personnel to be very helpful in clearing up my confusion and obtaining the correct information.

Guest Wayne77590

Bob,

Very well stated.

Texas is almost identical, but no class D, just A, B, and C

Welcome to the forum.

Let me provide you with a web site that "may" help in determining the type of license you require.

RV License

This is a good site to start with. Please be aware that not all of the info is accurate. For example, it lists Texas as requiring a class B. That isn't true. RVs are exempt from the 26K requirement. So actually going to the state DOT website and doing some reading would be appropriate.

Skyking8,

Can you cite the exact passage that exempts RVs over 26,000 pounds from having a class B in Texas? As I read the law and my contacts with Texas DMV say that a class B is required for a privately owned motor home over 26,000 pounds in Texas. Where do you find this exemption? There is an exemption for private motor homes listed under the Commercial Drivers License section of the law. This exempts us from having to have a Commercial Drivers License.

Then in the Drivers License Handbook it states:

CLASSIFIED DRIVER LICENSE (Texas Transportation Code, Section 521)

The following listed Class A, B, C, and M licenses will be issued to persons who are exempt from obtaining a Commercial Driver License or persons who are not required to obtain a Commercial Driver License:

1. Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or Class C, except a motorcycle or moped.

2. Class B driver license permits a person to drive the following vehicles, except a motorcycle or moped:

a. a single unit vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, and any such vehicle towing either a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 10,000 pounds, or a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that does not exceed 20,000 pounds;

b. a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more, including the driver; and

c. a vehicle included in Class C.

It seems clear to me that the above section refers to those exempted from the Commercial Drivers License. That being the case driving a 26,000 pound or greater motor home would require a Class B unless you were towing a 10,000 pound trailer in which case you would need a Class A license.

Okay! For Texas. Please note that there are no exemptions for standard Class A, B, or C licenses in the section I mentioned above, only for CDL.

Sorry, but I'm going to throw another log on this long burning fire.

Except for the statement above, you have provide alot of good, accurate info and links for those in Texas. Here's the link for the non-CDL exemption. http://www.txdps.sta...Forms/CDL-2.pdf

Hi. New member here and just started to browse new posts and came across this one which looks like it's been recently revived. For what little it may be worth, let me share my recent experience with the Texas license issue.

When I chose Texas as my domicile state I did a little research on the topic of license requirements and came to the following conclusions:

1) Texas law does technically require a non commercial class A or B license to drive most of today's large coaches. My interpretation of the link to the exclusion included above is that it is addressing "comercial vehicles" used as RVs. It begins with: "I will operate a commercial motor vehicle that exceeds 26,000 lbs GVWR and requires a Class A or B license that is exempted by the Texas Commercial Driver License Act. The Commercial Motor Vehicle that I will operate is defined in the following information. Check the appropriate box(es):" Then I think the appropriate box states: "A recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use;" It is really confusing but my guess that the answer lies somewhere in their definition of commercial vehicle. The Texas DMV office in Livingston has a constant stream RV owners flowing through there for their non commercial class A and B tests.

2) I'd bet money that there has never been a single person cited for driving their coach without the Class A or B endorsement. At least, nobody on any of the forums I participated in even KNEW anyone who had gotten called on it.

I chose to take the tests and get my Class B non commercial license because I wanted to make sure I knew all of the material they thought I should know... and, to cover my tail in the event there were ever an accident I might be involved in. FWIW, one of the early posts on this thread last year expresses the opinion that RV drivers should be required to hold a specialized license... and I agree. At least when it comes to driving a 30,000lb coach or towing a large trailer.

Anyway, that was my experience with the issue.

Rick