obedb

Removing A Washer/dryer Combo

I am planning the removal of our Washer combo. Is it a relatively easy task? Is it anchored to the floor? We don't use it, and the space would be a good spot for a cat litter box.

On our last coach, were was not sufficient width to remove the Splendride unit. SOOOOO, I pulled it out enough to dismantle and remove it piece by piece. Then took a hack saw and cut through the frame (not as much work as I thought it might be).

I've had mine out several times to replace the computer board. With ours it is possible to take it out of the cabinet in one piece. I'm sure each manufacturer does this differently. For ours there is a trim piece across the front that can be removed, look for screws that hold it in place. Ours is carpet covered so the screws weren't immediately obvious. The next step is angle brackets that secure the W/D to the floor. Ours had one on each side at the front. Ours is in the floor of a closet space and the shelf above is the next thing to remove. That also is secured by screws. Pull the unit out far enough to shut off the water, disconnect hoses, unplug the electric and stand on your head to remove the dryer vent. Get several friends to help from here. I've done it single handed but it's a heavy unit. I've never taken it all the way out of the coach but if it won't fit out the door, it could go out through a window. While it's a lot of trouble if it is a working W/D and you can get it out in one piece you might find a buyer on Ebay! We had our Norcold refrigerator removed and a household model brought in through the drivers side window. Removal of the window was not difficult. A crew inside and outside can do the job with no problems.

Thanks to both of you. I hoped to get it out by myself, but that probably won't happen. I will find some help.

I am planning the removal of our Washer combo. Is it a relatively easy task? Is it anchored to the floor? We don't use it, and the space would be a good spot for a cat litter box.

We did the same thing. I have pictures of the new "Cat Restroom" if you'd like to see them. We even hooked up a fan to vent out through the old dryer vent..... :D

Ours was anchored with screws through a shelf on top and bottom. It is really heavy and took 2 people to remove. If yours is floor mounted, not sure how it might be anchored but you should be able to wrestle it to the door and get someone to help with the removal.

In the last 3 weeks, I have removed 2 of those-- very heavy and they fit thru the door as we already had the co pilot chair removed, step well slide cover extended and outside steps retracted. It slid right thru the door-- barely!

Mine is coming out when I get some free time.

I checked on the net. Weighs just about 150 lbs. Since most of my friends have retired and moved south, I would probably have to pay someone to help if I want it out in One piece. It appears to be in almost new shape. I may use the "Brett Method."

Brad/ I would enjoy the pics that you have . can they be sent by PM or should I send you my off site email address?

Everybody's advice is appreciated. At least I know that one way or the other it can be done.

As indicated earlier/ I want to use the space for a cat litter box. When we had only one cat, we left the box in view on the main living area floor. We now have two cats. Might add a third one. Who knows. Could not find a better spot. Some have indicated using the shower. Not for us. We have the Harvest Tub Shower Combo. My wife enjoys a tub bath now and then. We do not want to do laundry as often as the capacity of of this small unit requires. The drying takes even longer than normal. We are happy doing laundry at park facilities. It is sometimes a social event. If we were high rollers with a 45 foot unit equipped with stacked units, I might feel differently, but given our circumstances, I doubt that will happen. Wish it would, but I think probably not.

Oh! By the way! Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of smart members here that will be able to help you. I have learned quite a bit from them. My trucking skill has been some help, but Class A RVs, especially DPs are a different thing entirely.

Ours came out in one piece but it is definitely not a one man job. We spent a lot of time in State Parks where there was no sewer hookup so the washer was essentially a useless waste of space. My wife refused to use it since it was so small capacity.

My coach has to go into the shop soon for the state mandated annual inspection. They work on Motorhomes and other RV units as a specialty. I will do some of the preliminary work and pay them to get it out. Might have some resale value that way If it will fit through the door.

ObedB, we pulled ours out two months ago. It was located in the back corner of the bedroom. Ours was a Spendid 2000 series, it had a bad water valve and would fill up and overflow on it's own. Since the water valve was no longer available I removed it and scrapped it. We needed more drawer space anyway for the kids so I went to our local Amish furniture shop and located a drawer unit that fit nice.

My wife has no problems using the facilities at the campground so the decision was easy. If it was a stacked unit I probably would have replaced it. the combo units are to small for a family of four.

I am a bit late to this string, but I took the Splendide unit out of my coach single handed. I replaced it with a wine rack and shelves.

The unit had a large stabilizing weight, which I removed. Once it was out, it was not that big a deal to get the unit out of the coach.

I put it back together and sold it through an ad which I posted at Camping World - not sure if they still let you do that.

JT

Good info John. I still want it out of our coach, but at soon to be 71 I was not sure I could do it. By the way/ we drink no boxed wine before it's time. But drink a lot of it after that.

ObeB

Does that mean that it is about time...

PS we use our washer about every three to four day when in Florida.

I have a 2015 Entegra Aspire 42 DEQ.  Must remove W & D to fix Washer. There is a wood piece across the top & in front of dryer. 2 screws removed from wood piece but it does not come out. My bedroom has a crown molding on top of wood piece  I have  drawing how to remove W & D but shows 2 sets of screws on each side of wood piece. I only have 1 screw on each side. Any suggestions?  Thanks. Dennis. 

Dennis,  I removed your phone number. It isn't a good idea to have your number for everyone to see. You will get responses here or they can PM you.

What does your washer need fixing? Ours has bad water valves that lets the tank fill. To use it I go outside turn the water on to washer then turn it off till we need to use it again.  Splendid says the valve is no longer made.

Someday I will find a valve, till then I will turn the water on and off.

Good luck getting that board off.

By the way you did notice this is a 5 year old post.

Herman 

Welcome to the forum Dennis. I have no idea but there are some Entegra owners on hear that might. I would call their help line and see if you can get further instructions You may have to take some of the crown molding on top off as it may be covering some screws.

Let us know what you find out.

Bill

I have had the Splendide washer / dryer combo unit out of its cavity last year to replace the control board after the transfer switch on the coach gave up the ghost (another story) and fried the control board. I build a 'shelf' that is the same height as the shelf the washer / dryer sits and slid it out into the bedroom to work on replacing the control board. If I had to remove the washer / dryer I would have to cut it up to get it out as the unit is wider than the door to enter the coach...

2010 38' Holiday Rambler Endeavor

The second screw on each side is probably behind the crown molding. How hard will it be to remove the crown molding? Most of the time the crown molding only has a few small nails or staples, if this is the case, it can always be replaced with a few nails.