Sign in to follow this  
marvbailey@hotmail.com

No 120 VAC Power With 120 Volt Hooked Up

My friend has a 1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm. The generator works fine all powers. When he was running the two airs it kicked out the house breaker and no power after reset breaker. No power to all 120 or 12 volt.

Tried to find what was wrong. Checked power at cord coming in 120 volts. No power to the breaker box either side. Put 120 volts to the breaker box and common could not get anything to work.

Just tried this for a test. have no schematic. Does the neutral go to the power converter before it goes to the outlets or why didn't anything work when it gave it 120 volts.

I guess I would like to understand how this circuit works.

Thanks

Marv

Marv,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Does he have an ATS(Automatic Transfer Switch) or must he manually plug in the generator lead or shore power lead to get power from the two sources?

And, if power (hot) is applied to the main breaker, neutral to the white gang strip and ground to the green gang strip, All should work. If nothing works, that would suggest that all the breakers to the various circuits are bad-- not at all likely.

You might also check whether a circuit breaker on your inverter kicked out.

I once was advised to do likewise. In my case that was the fault.

Hope it works for you too.

Rudy

He can start the generator and everything works fine. But when you plug in the 120 volts 30 amp house circuit it does not power anything. I checked power going in and have 120 volts. I know the 120 v shore power goes the inverter to run the 12 volts. The beakers check good. I even put power past the breaker on the 120 volt microwave circuit and no power.

Is my trouble in the power inverter? Is there a switch that turns on the 120 volts? Explain how this circuit works please.-- the shore power.

We still need to know if he has an ATS.

If everything works fine on generator, that PROVES that from the ATS/coach-side plug through breaker box, etc all is OK, as they use exactly the same wiring.

IF, repeat IF safe working around 120 VAC, check at ATS/coach-side plug with shore power on.