Sign in to follow this  
jdkrause

Motorhome/trailer Combo Length

How strict is the enforcement of motorhome/trailer combo maximum length in the lower 48 states?

Depending on the state, the maximum length is anywhere between 55-80 feet.

Probably two very different answers.

Probably not a lot are stopped for length violations.

But, were you involved in an accident, operating a vehicle illegal in that state would probably expose you to some real legal issues.

How strict is the enforcement of motorhome/trailer combo maximum length in the lower 48 states?

Depending on the state, the maximum length is anywhere between 55-80 feet.

I don't know of any 40' MH's towing a car that are 55 feet or under. MH 40' + towbar 2'+ + car 17' is about 59-60 feet.

Rand McNally's Road Atlas contains a page titled "Stay on the Right Side of he Law". In the chart it list State by State Laws on;

Speed limits, Studded tires Permitted, Seat Belt Required, Overnight Off-road Parking Trailer Brakes if Weight Over, Breakaway Brakes if Weight over, MAX. LENGTH OF CAR AND TRAILER WITHOUT PERMIT, Chains Required and Flares Required.

This might answer some folks questions. Most State have receptacle agreement with other states on compliance to the vehicle's registered State's requirements-laws.

Herman

Herman,

Your post shows up as being added at 2:30am. Either you are a really late night owl, or staying up watching the bit of Texas sprinkles? :)

Gayle

Think about Gayle,

Old man-------2:00am ------- raining on my metal roof. That can wake most any man. The mind will let you know it is time to go, :wub: I mean to get up.

Actually it was 3:30am CDT.

Herman