teanob

Towing a Subaru CVT With Manual Mode

I know the Subaru Outback does not have a manual transmission option for the 2015 model year and that Subaru says you can tow manual transmission Subarus 4 wheels down. I also know that they now have a CVT (automatic transmission) with manual mode so was wondering if it is possible to tow a 2015 Outback with the CVT in manual mode?

teanob,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

The official answer from Subaru (as of January 2015) is that ONLY manual transmission Subarus may be towed 4 wheels down.

If you find out something to the contrary from contacting Subaru (actually, were it me, I would want to see it in writing), please let us know.

I looked for a late model used Outback with a manual transmission. Not a popular option so I settled for a 2012 Forrester with a manual. I was told by a salesperson that manuals are on the way out for most models.

On a previous post, KIA Soul with manual transmission was a great option. I have an automatic, so have to use a tow dolly, but if you haven't driven the car, a test drive will give a look for another option.

The Soul is the most surprising little SUV when driving it.

teanob,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

The official answer from Subaru (as of January 2015) is that ONLY manual transmission Subarus may be towed 4 wheels down.

If you find out something to the contrary from contacting Subaru (actually, were it me, I would want to see it in writing), please let us know.

I sent an inquiry and got the following response:

" If your vehicle is equipped with a CVT transmission it must be towed with all wheels off of the ground. If the transmission is a true manual, it can be towed with all wheels on the ground." from Lana Downs Subaru of America, Inc. Customer/Dealer Services Department

On a previous post, KIA Soul with manual transmission was a great option. I have an automatic, so have to use a tow dolly, but if you haven't driven the car, a test drive will give a look for another option.

The Soul is the most surprising little SUV when driving it.

I have driven a Soul but was told the manual said it could not be towed 4 down. However the FMCA towable guide says it can be with a manual transmission. I am checking with the company.