jdkrause

Cylinder Liner Pitting Caused By Non-treatment Of Coolant

In a word, YES. Assume you have a diesel with cylinder liners vs parent bore.

All diesels with liners require different coolants than your car. Coolant requirements are pretty much the same between all diesel engine manufacturers.

"Regular Prestone", like you would get at Walmart is NOT acceptable/does not meet the specs for any diesel engine manufacturer.

There are two basic types of coolant that do meet the specs:

1. Low silicate for diesel coolant with added SCA (Supplemental Coolant Additive). The SCA is used up as it protects the cylinder liners and needs to be tested for and replenished. Replenishment can be liquid SCA or coolant filter replacement with a filter with the correct amount of SCA to bring the level back to spec.

Here are the Coolant Test Strips that we give out at the Diesel RV Club Rallies: http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=22873

The problem with any of the test strips is that they are normally packaged in large quantities and have a short shelf life (expiration date printed on the packets). The link above, for example is for 12- individually sealed 4 packs of test strips. So, for an individual, it may not be cost effective to buy that way. But, if going to a Rally or event where there will be many other diesel coaches, it makes perfect sense. Do NOT use expired test strips-- they are not accurate.

2. The new generation OAT-based coolants. More expensive, but require no testing or adding for 6 years/300,000 miles.

BTW, you engine owners manual will have a section devoted to coolants and your engine's coolant requirement.

Brett is right on as usual. If you have a sleeved or cylinder liner style engine, the coolant is in direct contact with the liner. Without the proper additives and coolant the liners will soon fall prey to pitting. I once took a job with a small owner that knew nothing about this. On my first trip from NJ to Phoenix things started to fall apart by the time I got past Nashville Tenn. The liners were so badly pitted, that combustion pressurized the cooling system. The cab heater core started to leak, coolant was being forced out of the overflow, and I had to stop every 30 miles or so to add water. The owner asked me to try to get the rig to Cummins in Memphis. I made it but it was above and beyond the call of duty. An inframe overhaul was performed while I rested in a motel for two nights.

A low mileage RV owner night get away with the wrong coolant, but someone will pay the price eventually.

Wow, I have seen this happen on two engines in my career that were brought to my shop, one was a Non sleeved International 7.3L IDI (1993) and a 2001 DT466 international, both caused by poor maintenance practices/wrong coolant being installed. Neither engine were at 100,000 miles either.

The truck that I was driving had close to 300,000 when I started out on my first trip. It was a Big Cam 400 Cummins. When I called the owner from the Cummins shop to give him the bad$$$ news, he admitted that he had no knowledge of low silicate antifreeze and supplemental coolant additives. It was his only rig. I have known truckers that cut corners figuring that they would trade before the bad stuff starts happening.

Brett is right to point out the need to follow the protocol. A diesel is a diesel, regardless of what it powers down the road.

I have a picture of a liner pitted all the way through. Actually I have two pictures one from a local shop and another from a retired Fleetguard engineer. this is the one from the Fleetguard engineer.

post-3538-0-72702600-1436241809_thumb.jp