Sign in to follow this  
ronpatkni

Selling A Car That Has Been Flat-towed

We are trying to sell a 2009 Chevy Cobalt that we have flat-towed behind our motor home for several years. The question has come up--what mileage do we declare on the mileage disclosure? The odometer shows about 47,000 miles, we have towed it about 27,000.

I am sure this is something that any number of other owners have encountered. It makes a good bit of difference in the price we can expect to get get for the Cobalt. Any experiences or advice anyone can offer will be appreciated.

What's on the Odometer is what I declare. Unless I am mistaken, the odometer statement requires you to certify that the odometer has not been disconnected or tampered with. I don't think towing falls under either category. I do not hide the fact that it has been towed, I consider the presence of a base plate to be plus, at least on Jeeps, which is all that I tow! The dealers where I have traded surely don't care, and I have traded 4 different Jeeps for later/different models.

Although there may be some mechanical wear and tear on the components, other than the engine, me thinks that the speedometer reading is more indicative to the engine wear and tear. That is what I would be more concerned about if I were buying. Wheel bearings, springs, shocks, are all secondary - in my opinion and if I were purchasing.

Thanks for your comments. We have the Cobalt on consignment at a Chevy dealer and he said he was concerned that the mileage was not indicative of the mileage on the car. We have done nothing to conceal the fact that it has been towed. In face the cut-outs they had to make to connect the tow bar are quite visible. After all it is a white car.

After reading the above comments, I agree with the other posters. If you tow according to the manufacturers recommendations, the mileage on the odometer is the correct mileage to be reported. If it was not, we would be compelled to record mileage while being towed and the odometer would be set up that way.

My biggest concern was the fact that the dealer has second thoughts. I think he is setting you up for a quick, cheap sale. I, personally, would have gone somewhere else after that.

Good luck and safe travels

After reading the above comments, I agree with the other posters. If you tow according to the manufacturers recommendations, the mileage on the odometer is the correct mileage to be reported. If it was not, we would be compelled to record mileage while being towed and the odometer would be set up that way.

My biggest concern was the fact that the dealer has second thoughts. I think he is setting you up for a quick, cheap sale. I, personally, would have gone somewhere else after that.

+1

^^ What he said!

I agree with McBrian, I have never had a problem with the mileage when I trade, it is what it says and has not been tampered with. I have always removed the tow brackets and wiring, I now have quite a collection in my shop.