C-783533

Awning Slow to Retract

The electric awning (I think Carefree) on my 2015 Chateau is slow to retract. It extends at what I would consider a normal speed. Any ideas about why?

George,

First, going up it is fighting gravity, so mine is a bit slower also.

Question, does is squeak? Mine did and first I lived all the joints with silicone spray, it helped, but only for a few weeks. Then I lubed it with oil, better result and longer lasting.

Two other factors to consider:

How old is it and could the motor be getting tired?

and

How are you batteries? Weak or run down batteries can do this also. Try it with the engine running and see if it makes a difference.

Please keep us informed as to what you discover.

George Daunis

I'm with George on the lubrication. I have two electric awning and both were a little sluggish and to the point where one would crawl (the 19 foot long one). I lubricated all the pivot points with WD-40 and they began working like they were supposed to. Could be your problem. Try it.

Our electric awning (Carefree Mirage) goes out faster because it is spring loaded to extend it. The motor simply unwinds the fabric and the springs drive it out. On the way in the springs are being compressed so it makes the motor work much harder than when the springs are expanding and helping the motor extend the awning.

Another thought, check the breaker box for loose wires and the motor for loose wires. This could also cause slow mechanisims.

The motor in my Carefree Eclipse is undersized for the task of rolling up a 20 ft awning. Very slow and the slightest additional load, e.g. a tree branch against it, will prevent it from moving at all unless I give it a helping hand to get started. Last year it wouldn't start at all on its own and I eventually figured out there was a bit of corrosion on the wire connections at the motor head and the slight voltage drop (only about 0.2v) was enough to stop it.

These are standard car power window motors (Dorman is the brand on mine) and I've thought about trying to find a mechanically compatible one with a bit higher torque. Haven't done the homework yet, though.

I have a 2014 Georgetown with a Dometic 9000 Awning. It makes a loud bang when it goes out. Dealer said it was normal, but don't think so.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks for the replies. I failed to mention that it takes a few back and forth tries before it rolls up. Also, it's a new unit. Taking it in for warranty work is, of course, an option but if an easy solution, I won't have to take the long drive to the dealer, wait all day to then be told they will have to keep it for all eternity until the raw materials are mined, the new part fabricated and it arrives via slow boat from China. As they say, BTDT.

George,

Lubricate all the joining parts/pins with WD-40. Any long accumulation of grit/grime will make it act as you have stated. Spray it and operated it a few times. Let us know what happens.

I'm curious. We've had lots of suggestions but we still don't have a definite manufacturer or model information. Power awnings operate in a variety of ways. We're trying to diagnose a problem in very general ways. Can you give us the specific information for your awning? It should be in the owners manual or product files for your coach.

As the awning is under warranty, I would take it in and get it fixed. It could be that you have a defective part and any temporary improvement might result in delay addressing the real problem. If the awning finally fails after the warranty expires, you will have to pay to repair or replace the awning. The fact that the coach is a new coach and the awning is not retracting properly (multiple tries to eventually bring the awning in fully is clearly below performance expectations) indicates that the awning is not performing normally.

At the very least, call your dealer and discuss the awnings performance with them. If their answer is unsatisfactory, call the manufacturer of the awning and discuss the problem with them. Taking these steps will put your concern on the record which could support an eventual warranty claim.

When we are faced with a repair item, I try to incorporate a visit to the dealer or repair shop in a planned trip. An appointment on our way to/from a destination can result in a quick fix or at least an assessment of the situation and ordering needed parts. Then when it is time to install the parts you will know how long it will take and can plan another trip to the shop into another outing. Killing two birds with one stone makes the trip to the shop a little less painful. This strategy is easier for those of us who are retired but if you schedule the work on a Friday, you could take a vacation day for the appointment and still have the weekend for the rest of your outing.

The dealer is quite a distance away. If the fix is something simple, it's a lot less of my time wasted on the road and sitting at a dealership. Of course bringing it in is an option. I have owned many flavors of RV and have made many piddling "warranty" repairs myself over the years. The more significant things the dealer gets.

One of my two awnings did the same way as described above.

I called the supplier, they shipped another motor assembly. While waiting for the replacement, I took the motor assembly apart and found the unit had gotten away from the assembly plant without the axles installed in the planetary gears. I made a set out of nickel welding rod and put it together. Been working fine for three years, and I have a spare motor assembly.