jimsheila

Platinum Paint Protection On A New Coach?

In my opinion those dealer "paint protection" packages are way overpriced, little more than extra profit on the deal. Ditto for interior protection packages - nothing more than spraying with Scotchguard. If you aren't willing to do it yourself, hire a detailing outfit to do the job. Probably half the price.

Any decent quality "wax" job (they are nearly all synthetic protectants these days anyway) will do the job of protecting your finish and keeping it shiny. And your clear-coated paint job will easily last 5+ years regardless, so those "guarantees" they give with the "platinum protection" (or whatever they call it) don't mean much.

If you think this is something you may want, ask very specific questions about just what they are promising. If you are unhappy with the look after a couple years, will they re-do it on your say-so? Or do they get to decide whether the finish is ok or not? And what if the dealer is no longer selling that brand of paint protection (there are dozens)? Where do you go? If the finish has deteriorated somehow, will they re-paint it for you? A glib "just bring it back if there is a problem" from the salesman is meaningless. He may not even be working there when you come back...

We purchased our 1st coach in 2012; we purchased the exterior and interior protection plan. We purchased out of fear of the unknown and today I can say I am thrilled that we did. The 1st claim was for the interior--small holes appeared in the upholstery. The warranty paid the $2K repair bill to replace the upholstery. The 2nd claim came this past Fall when the sun's UV rays started to fade and flake the clear coat on the top--along the side wall roll coming from the roof. They paid nearly $4K. The thing we forget about when purchasing these protection plans is the warranty. These two claims totaled $6K, but I paid nowhere near $6K for the protection plan. Would I buy these again? You can bet I will!

Ray