I have an older Master Tow, tow dolly and it's not required to be registered in my state. So, how do I find out what states require tow dollies to be registered. Or am I exempt if home state does not require registration.

Also, this model doesn't have brakes what is the law on that been using 4 years now, and brakes cannot be added.

:o:wacko::blink:

Roy,

If your state does not require tags on the Tow Dolly then other states will abide by your states requirements. As far as brakes go, the information I have shows that in Massachusetts, Trailer Brakes Required if Trailer exceeds 10,000 lbs. That is the highest of the 50 states.

Herman

Roy,

If your state does not require tags on the Tow Dolly then other states will abide by your states requirements. As far as brakes go, the information I have shows that in Massachusetts, Trailer Brakes Required if Trailer exceeds 10,000 lbs. That is the highest of the 50 states.

Herman

Thank you Herman,

What about the brakes dolly w/vehicle does not exceed 10,000 # does that apply to other states or is it state to state?

While there is reciprocity between states on licensing requirements, your vehicle(s) must meet the requirements in each state. So, states determine things like maximum axle weight (though there are federal guidelines), speed limits for various classes of vehicles, height and length restrictions, etc.

Roy,

Sorry I can't speak for the Brakes. Registration is on a reciprocal agreement between states. The one thing I understand that if going into Canada you may need to have brakes regardless what your state's requirements are.

The way it reads is "if the trailer exceeds 10,000 lbs." brakes are required.

My suggestion would to check with your insurance company and ask that if you were involved in an accident and didn't have brakes on your tow dolly/tow vehicle would they pay?

Herman

I have an older Master Tow, tow dolly and it's not required to be registered in my state. So, how do I find out what states require tow dollies to be registered. Or am I exempt if home state does not require registration.

Also, this model doesn't have brakes what is the law on that been using 4 years now, and brakes cannot be added.

:o:wacko::blink:

I would sell that one and buy one with brakes. I would not tow a dolly with out brakes. I towed a dolly for two years. Your stopping distance is shorter with brakes on the dolly. Would you rather stop five feet before the car that stopped in front of you or five feet after you hit that car?

Bill