bandorr2000

Weigh Station In Maryland

I asked the MDTA about the weigh stations on I-95 in Maryland at the Perryville, Maryland location. Signs say all vehicles over 5 tons must stop when scales are open.

Here is their reply:

Thank you for your email and for contacting the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA). Financed solely by toll revenue, the MDTA is an independent State agency that finances, owns, operates and maintains the State's eight toll facilities.

We appreciate your bringing this matter to our attention. All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at open weigh stations. Only vehicles that are operating in commerce may be subject to a safety inspection.

Thank you again for your email, and please let us know if we may assist you further.
Kerry Brandt
Division of Communications

Just thought I would pass this along.

Perhaps it is just the toll roads. We live about 4 miles above the MD line, have run thru the state MANY TIMES, and have never observed an RV being weighed.

Yes, toll portion of I-95 is what I asked about to MDTA. Sign before weigh station, NB and SB, states ALL VEHICLES OVER 5T MUST ENTER. I never used to see busses there, but have since spring, guess we'll see MH's now.

"Only vehicles that are operating in commerce may be subject to a safety inspection."

The above quote is probably the key, some bus companies have let their equipment become outdated, and have become a hazard to the persons they are carrying onboard.

Also illegal drugs are known to be transported in vehicles of this size, if they have to stop for weighing, makes them easier to catch.

That is about 45 minutes from my house, every time we head south on I95 I pass that....yep even in the coach, I never stop I am usually into the throttle to get over the "White Knuckle" bridge just south of that.

There is a fear among truckers with that weight station, they chew everything to pieces there and most will travel RT1 to avoid it.

Maybe next time through I will stop and see if they will weigh all four corners and do me a favor.

I asked the MDTA about the weigh stations on I-95 in Maryland at the Perryville, Maryland location. Signs say all vehicles over 5 tons must stop when scales are open.

Here is their reply:

Thank you for your email and for contacting the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA). Financed solely by toll revenue, the MDTA is an independent State agency that finances, owns, operates and maintains the State's eight toll facilities.

We appreciate your bringing this matter to our attention. All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at open weigh stations. Only vehicles that are operating in commerce may be subject to a safety inspection.

Thank you again for your email, and please let us know if we may assist you further.

Kerry Brandt

Very interesting, I really doubt that they would waste time chasing down a RV that blows past the weigh station though.

I have passed it dozens of times, in this coach and the last, I always look over to see if any of our work trucks are there, never have I seen a PO look my way as I passed by.

I did get chased down a few years ago in an empty Ford F250 in NJ that was commercial labeled. That day I got the riot act read to me. Won't do that again.

On 6/17/2015 at 5:11 PM, bandorr2000 said:

Here is their reply:

Kerry Brandt

Being from Maryland I can honestly tell you that the only people that have to stop at our scales are commercial trucks weighing over 5 tons. If the side of your coach has a commercial sign on it such as a business or anything of that nature you must pull over and get your vehicle weighed.

That said there is a caveat to all of this, in the event that the DOT feels that you're operating in an unsafe manner they can ask you to pull onto the scale. Here's the thing, you have to be driving like an absolute idiot, the front end of your coach has to be popping up in the air because the trailer behind you have so much tongue weight, or if they think that you're running dope and want a reason to ask in a board your coach. 

Well, after talking to 2 MD State Police troopers, I don't stop at any of the MD weigh stations. When I showed them the email response I mentioned above they shook their heads. Just to make sure they weren't wrong they made a couple of phone calls. They both assured me that, unless I was in a commercial endeavor, and marked or registered as such, there was no requirement to pull into their weigh station at any time. So ignore the ALL VEHICLES OVER 5 TONS must enter.

According to a gentleman that works for the State Attorney's Office in Maryland any vehicle is subject to be pulled onto the scales that is greater than 5 tons however, the only ones that are required to pull onto the scales when they are open and operational are those vehicle which are considered to be commercial greater than 10000 lb where a DOT card is required. Buses who have passengers are not required to pull on the scales however, if they are empty they must hold on to the scales.

If a motorhome has any type of commercial signage or is pulling a trailer that has commercial signage such as the name of a business a phone number a website or representing a commercial entity such as Bank of America or NASCAR it must pull on the stairs because at that point it is considered commercial and the driver that are possessed a valid commercial driver's license and Dot card. 

Keons Thoughts: 

Agosh honestly don't know what to say because some of this rhetoric is goulash. I do not know why the state of Maryland is so complicated as if they are hurting for money or what but the writing on the website and the way that the law is worried it is super confusing and leaves a whole lot of Grey area to be interpreted. Unfortunately the person that gets to interpret is not required to have a law degree therefore their interpretation can change depending on who took a whiz in their Wheaties that particular day.