brandta

Rexhall Gas Tank Access

Rexhall, 2004 American Clipper, Ford 53 Chassis

I am no longer able to get gas from the fuel tank to the generator (yes the tank is full.) I am thinking that the rubber fuel line from the tank to the generator has somehow failed. The generator works fine from an external gas can. The shop is indicating that they cannot find a way to access the tank fuel outlets without cutting access holes in outside storage.

I have looked for an access panel under the bed, but unless it is actually under the uncut carpet and/or the water tank I can't find one.

Anybody else had to deal with this issue?

Thanks,

Alan Brandt

Alan, generally the only access is to lower the fuel tank down. Anytime I had to access on a gas powered Class A coach that was how I had to do it. Depending on how much fuel is inside the tank can make it a real challange as most fuel caddies cannot handle that much fuel.

I have changed several fuel pump/sending units over the years on customers RV's and I have always resorted to pulling the tank down with the exception of the Class C Ford Chassis we owned, you could actually remove a plate in the driver side rear fender well push it aside and reach in to the top of the tank, the coach body was mounted high enough off of the frame to allow the pump/sending unit to be removed.

I had to drop the tank on my RexAir with Ford chassis 3 different times. Twice to replace the rubber hose that runs to the generator (I should have replaced with steel line the first time), and once to replace the fuel pump. The fuel pump replacement came within 10 miles of a fill-up and the shop pumped out 55 gallons into a barrel and dropped the tank with 15 or so gallons remaining. Turned out the fuel pump wasn't bad, it was a coil but that's a whole other story. The joys of "on the road" repairs with unknown shops!