Question

The heat in Central Florida is almost unbearable! 100 degrees in Orlando yesterday! We'd like to go somewhere "cooler" during July and August.... not too far, like East and South of Kentucky, NOT beaches....

Where is the highest mountain or the coolest area that you can suggest we go? We prefer National/State parks, second choice would be "reasonable rates" not necessarily "resort rates" for campgrounds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jocelynn and Oscar (Quico) Power

Gainesville, FL

'04 Concord/Coachmen w tow

no pets, no kids

6 answers to this question

For late June, all of July & August, you can expect 95 degrees and high humidity in southern Kentucky even to the east. Barren River State Park, a KY resort park, near Mammoth Cave is a nice park that also has a lodge for a meal out if you would like.

Mammoth Cave National Park is near there, but I am not sure if the have hookups. If you want to be up near the Ohio River General Butler State Park, another KY Resort Park, just north of I-74 about halfway between Louisville and Cincinnati is a nice park, too.

Indian Mountain State Park in Tennessee just south of Jellico, KY on I-75 is a nice quiet park that has hookups if you don't want to travel further north. It is on the Cumberland Plateau and may be a little cooler.

For late June, all of July & August, you can expect 95 degrees and high humidity in southern Kentucky even to the east. Barren River State Park, a KY resort park, near Mammoth Cave is a nice park that also has a lodge for a meal out if you would like.

Mammoth Cave National Park is near there, but I am not sure if the have hookups. If you want to be up near the Ohio River General Butler State Park, another KY Resort Park, just north of I-74 about halfway between Louisville and Cincinnati is a nice park, too.

Indian Mountain State Park in Tennessee just south of Jellico, KY on I-75 is a nice quiet park that has hookups if you don't want to travel further north. It is on the Cumberland Plateau and may be a little cooler.

Thank you! I will look into those and someone else also suggested Black Mountain area.....??

We are in Shelbyville, KY visiting our kids and it is humid to say the least. Lots of rain. Our son-in-law says this is not the usual for this time of year.

Thank you Herman, Boyers and Paulrl:

For the past three years we've been going to Colorado and returning thru three different routes (N, S and mid). This summer is a "close by" quicker trip....

Thus, we did make reservations at Barren River as the Boyer's suggested. Also Mt. Pisgah (Elev 5,700') and the Cumberland Falls of KY.

Well, don't overlook Great Smoky Mtn NP in eastern TN. Elkmont CG is our preferred but also Smokemont on NC side is a good choice. Also, Davidson River at Davidson, NC is another good option. all of course the typical national park dry camping. Several private resort RV parks to the west of Asheville, NC in the Toxaway/Cashiers area. All the above have plenty of things to do in the area. I personally not a big fan of Mt Pisgah CG. sites to sloped for me and not larger rig friendly.