actionjackson

Towing 2012 Ford Edge

Recently bought the 2012 Edge and had it set up for towing behind our Winnebago Journey. FMCA towing guide did not suggest any modifications or fuse removal, just starting the vehicle each day. We have a Blue Ox Patriot braking system, which worked well with our previous TOAD. The Edge is a different cat. Way more electronics. The owners manual states that the ignition switch should be in the "second" accessory postion, which pretty much leaves the whole dash lit up. We only got about 20 miles when the Patriot signaled that the vehicle battery was low. I had done a minor charge on the Patriot and it might have been a bit low. But our car battery was dead. Had to jump the car to get it started. Had the vehicle battery checked out and it is A-OK.

When we got home I phoned Blue Ox and the tech stated that the main "ATM" ignition fust had to be pulled. I couldn't find that fuse per se but did find Fuse #29 Radio Multi-function dispaly screen and SYNC module. I pulled that fuse and the screen went dead, with just a light on around the ignition. It's hard to tell just how much this #29 does and would this kill the car battery that soon?

My question is, Is this the right fuse? Maybe someone else has some experience with the Edge as a Toad. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

You might want to do a search (search box upper right of each page) in the towing section for "Ford Edge". Lots of posts on this vehicle.

Thanks Brett.

After my post, I realized that I already had a 12v plug, with 10 ga. wire, at the rear of the coach. This is for my M/C rack and winch. It was a fairly easy task to complete the wiring harness onto the Edge with a compatible plug back to the rear of the coach.

A question regarding the fuse removal. Does the above procedure negate the removal for the Sync. fuse? Just wondering. Won't have a chance to test this system until next month.

Thanks again.

I have basically the same car in my 2013 Lincoln MKX. I looked at your manual on-line and there is nothing about removing a fuse and I don't. However I did have a battery voltage failure one time. Since then I make sure that the display is off, the auto lights are off, the auto windshield wipers are off, the AC system is off, and I don't put it in recirculate mode, and the audio system is off.

Then I place the ignition in ACC which for me is an electronic push button. Doing that, I have not had a problem since. If you are using the 12v at the back of the coach as a charge-line you should have no problems even if the items are left on. Just an opinion. Good luck.

p.s., I also purchase a portable jump-start, just in case.

The owners manual for the 2015 Ford Edge specifically says you have to disconnect the negative cable to the battery if you are flat towing. I guess they heard the stories of flat batteries from other owners and this is their fix. Doesn't help if you have an auxiliary brake unit that needs power so I guess the best option is to add a charger as Walt mentioned above.

New to the FMCA and the Forum and to TOAD. 2012 Ford Edge with a dead battery after my first tow. I'm with Walt and will get a TOAD charger!

Thanks for everyone's response as I read them all and great information.

BTW, I'm still waiting for my Ford dealer to return my call...