msgtnobody

2008 Monaco LaPalma House Batteries

I bought a used 2008 Monaco Lapalma and just noticed that there is only 1 12v deep cycle house battery & 2 12v chassis batteries. The original owners book said it had 4 6v batteries for house.

Should I replace the 12v?? I don't plan on boondocking at all if I don't have to. What is proper wiring I would need to do it if I have to change batteries.

If you do not camp without shore power or plan to run the generator, the single 12 VDC battery may be enough-- what size/group is it? There is a wide range of capacities, all 12 VDC from small car batteries (not deep cycle) to 8D starting and 8D deep cycle batteries-- BIG differences.

And, were you to change to a pair of 6 VDC batteries, you would need a battery cable to go from the negative post of battery #1 to the positive post of battery #2. Then the positive wire to house to the positive terminal of battery # 1 and the coach ground wire to the negative terminal of battery #2.

Think of those two 6 VDC batteries in series as "a 12 VDC battery in two pieces".

If you did a lot of dry camping, yes, four 6 VDC batteries would be a good idea.

I think I should get the 4 (6) volt batteries. because I would like to use the generator sometimes. The owners manual says:

6 Volt Domestic** U2200 (4 each) 450ah 75 Amp @ 80° F = 230 Min

It is use of the coach WITHOUT running the generator that calls for a larger battery bank.

And, 4 U2200 golf cart batteries will give you a TOTAL of about 450 ah @ 12 VDC. And, for long battery life, do not discharge below 50%. That means that even when brand new and fully charged, you would want to recharge after using about 225 amp-hrs of power.