WildBill95

Coolant in Oil

Last September I bought a 2011 Tiffin Allegro RED. The odometer only had 15,000 miles so I thought what could be wrong here? On our first outing the Low Coolant light came on and I added coolant and wrote it off to a poor job of prepping by the dealer (La Mesa but that is another story). We went on a few local trips and I kept an eye on the the coolant level (and oil). The coolant level seemed to be stable though I may have added some more coolant if it was a little low.

In December the check engine light came on, but would go off when the engine was restarted. This went on for a couple of week until I could get it in to Cummins South in Tampa, FL. They said the error was caused by high crankcase pressure and changed the crankcase filter, put it on a dynamometer, took it for a drive hit a curb and broke several dishes then gave it back to me saying everything was fixed.

We took it on several longer trips over the next several months and put around a 1500 miles on it when the check engine light came on again. This time I had already purchased a Scan Gauge D and knew it was caused by high crankcase pressure. I took it to Kenworth in Lakeland, FL, a great shop if you aren't in a hurry. They determined it wasn't the EGR and a pressure test revealed a slight leak in the # 3 cylinder. The head has been removed and sent out to Cummins South (see above) because they have a Cummins certified shop.

My concerns are what damage may have been done buy running with coolant in the oil. The oil always looked good when I checked it and there was never a sign of water that I could tell. Is there anyway to check for damage. I believe regular oil analysis is in my future but I don't know what the analysis means. Where can I get the analysis interpreted?

What information did they provide you that indicated that there was coolant in the oil.

Was the pressure test a pressurization of the cooling system?

Since you mention #3 cylinder in conjunction with the pressure test, was this a cylinder leak down test?

Bill
I used Speedco's test done on an analyzer in the waiting area when trucking. Perhaps not as accurate as a higher end testing service, but you establish a baseline and watch for changes. The test result are on the printed analysis, and a description of possible problem areas are there for you to understand from the write up. Coolant in the oil or lack thereof is there for you to see. I had my oil tested every oil change/ normally four to five weeks apart. I don't know how they would be if you rolled in there for just an oil analysis. If your oil coolant levels were very low, you may be OK. Oil with higher coolant levels tend to look a little on the brownish side.

You can have them drop the pan and inspect some of the bearings to see if they have been scored enough to need replacement. If not, you dodged a bullet. If you need the "bottom end " done, you are looking at six sets of rod bearings and seven main bearings replaced.

Ask them how they determined there was coolant in the oil. If it was obvious to the mechanic without a test, that could be a bad thing $$$. Perhaps Joe (JLeamont) could offer some advice, and I know Brett will be back. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

WildBill95,

If it were my coach I would have changed the oil shortly after the repair was made, run the unit for maybe another 3000 miles, pull an oil sample and see what the results are. Oil sampling is going to be your best friend.

We have the Volvo D11 and D13 in the fleet at work that seem to experience oil cooler failures, which results in coolant in the crankcase like your coach. Until the oil samples come back the unit will accumulate 12-15000 miles before we even knew there was a problem to ground the tractor. We correct the situation, and perform another oil change usually within 3-5000 miles, run the unit for another 10000-15000 miles and pull another sample and look over the results. I cannot ever recall any engine failures, maybe one or two that only went to 900000 miles and not to a million. In this application the rest of the coach would be long worn out by then.

If you are like me I would sweat that out the entire life of the unit and every time I pulled the dipstick I would stand there dabbing it onto a white cloth trying to see if I saw anything that looked suspicious.

I did have a customer a few years back with an International Maxxforce that took out the liners at 80,000 miles, just out of warranty, it was loaded with coolant to the point it was leaching out of the oil cap from the crankcase pressure, We put liners and pistons in the engine, no bearing damage that we could find, it's still running today and the last time I bumped into the him it had almost 200,000 miles on it.

One more time:

#1 Did the mechanic ( tech ) speculate that there was coolant in the oil based on the damage to the head?

#2 Was an oil analysis done at the shop and if so, just trace amounts?

#3 Was the oil obviously adulterated with coolant and the mechanic observed that because of the color of the oil?

Once the head comes off, you are already into some money. Expendables will be replaced before you get your RV back. An oil change for sure.

If #3 is the case, ask them if dropping the pan and inspecting some bearings is advised. The oil is gone anyway. If they say no, they must feel that when everything is buttoned up you are good to go.

Joe knows a lot more about things mechanical then I do. I guess that I am just a fraidy cat. I enjoy running in the mountains so I would want to know that the odds are with me when I get into a hard pull over a pass.

Good luck to you and please let us know how things turn out.