johncarey

Slideout Moves While Parked And While Traveling

We're having a problem with the main slideoout on our Thor (Four Winds) Hurricane 32A. When parked, the slide will creep out. On our last trip, the slide began to drift out while moving.

Our dealer can't find the root of this problem. I have contacted Thor, without any positive results. This is a safety problem now, so any help will be appreciated.

JR Carey

Are the slide operating mechanism's electric or hydraulic? Is there a locking mechanism? The slides in my previous Newmar coach were electric motors and I never had a problem. I have the same problems with the HWH hydraulic slides on my current RV. HWH thought it was a valve leaking that released the pressure allowing the slide to move. I bought a replacement valve and took the coach to a local RV dealer to have it installed and they said the valve doesn't fit. The slide creeps out when moving or stopped. I just watch it in the mirrors and stop when it needs to be retracted.

Please post more info since many of us are not familiar with Thor slides.

JR,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

You mentioned the main slide are others creeping as well?

Thor (Four Winds) Hurricane 32A. What year is the coach?

Rich.

Had similar problem, but also the jacks creeped down. I called Monaco. The emergency fix was to unplug the control panel, then bungee up the jacks. After doing so, the (hydraulic) slides started to creep out while going down the road. Stopped, brought them back in, and continued to where I could get them looked at. Ended up replacing the whole hydraulic system and still have problem with leaks.

Guys I know this is and old thread BUT, I had the same problem and after two years found the fix for it. Lippert wanted to replace the complete hyd unit on my dime for $5000, wasn't happening. Found a good hyd shop and the old gent in the shop said "oh just replace the little oring on the end of the solenoid for that slide" so I did and guess what, FIXED. Cost me 10 cents for the oring and $5 in gas for the car. Hope this might help someone else.

On electric slides there is a "brake," and usually just a little lever on the motor. Since we are rolling earthquakes going down the highway those have a slight tendency to move themselves a little to the "off" side. Check to see which way the lever is to be set for the brake (think manual) flip it once the other way and back to the brake setting. Fixed it for me.

Our front driver's side slide was kicking out just enough to be noticeable by a critical eye. One day when I took it in I accidentally left an area rug in the way of the roller. The rug corner was just over the depression left in the wall to wall carpet by the roller. The creep back out stopped. I now leave a small area rug over the depression. Our problem solved. Just a thought that could help others because it helped me.

ObedB.

Is your driver side electric or HWH? Mine is HWH and when I let it out, there is a max point where it will drop down on outside and up inside. Stop it there and you should see rollers, mine are 6" long. each side of roller has an adjustment nut...not easy to get too!

On my Allegro Bus, you could get to roller when slide was all the way out...a friend took as much pressure off of roller as he could, using a crow bar and I tightened the nut...my problem was too much play, so while driving it sounded like a jack hammer, in coach ! When I called Tiffin, their solution was to place a piece of rug or towel under the offending roller! :angry:

If yours is electric, I have no clue! :o Sorry.

Carl

Our two slides are electric. Herman suggested possible adjustment of the offending roller. There have to be two because the roller that seems to be the problem is well forward of the center of the slide. Now you mention a loose roller on a previous coach. Guess I better get out the digital inspection camera that I bought because Joe and Ray were proud of theirs. So much to be learned on this website!

Thanks Carl.

ObedB

If you have the power gear electric slide system, Check the electric motor locking device is working.

It keeps the motor locked so the gears do not move. The gearing ratio is like 50 to 1 to get the power required to move the slides and this also makes for a good breaking system to keep the slides locked in position.

Rich.

It is Power Gear. How do I check locking device?. It only kicks out up front. The other roller is on tile.

JR Cary posted this question in July of 2015. Never another post, I wonder if he ever found the cause of his dilemma :o or is he just driving down the road with his slide going in and out.

Now that is a sight I would pay five bucks to see. :D

Herman

JR Cary posted this question in July of 2015. Never another post, I wonder if he ever found the cause of his dilemma :o or is he just driving down the road with his slide going in and out.

Now that is a sight I would pay five bucks to see. :D

Herman

Herman, I have seen a few with ratchet binders thrown around the trailer before at a CG in Maryland .....and a few that needed a ratchet binder wrapped around the trailer also :blink: to keep them in.

Same place, we also watched a guy and his DW bring their slide in with two of them (trailer again), that was entertaining, especially with all of the cracking and popping sounds.

ObedB, call Tiffin and ask them how to adjust it. I have often wondered how that is accomplished, I am sure someday I will need to know myself.

It is Power Gear. How do I check locking device?. It only kicks out up front. The other roller is on tile.

There is a file on the power gear sight that pictures the motor lock and how it should work.

The Side should come in square! If the slide is square to the side wall, then there is an issue - possibly some thing between the front inside wall restricting the slide in that corner.

You might move the slide out and just a little and measure all four corner distances from the outside wall and the slide wall that seals to the main wall.

Any difference could indicate an out of adjustment issue.

The rug could be loose from the floor and is restricting the front from complacently sealing.

Look for the simple things before planing a slide adjustment.

Keep the group up to speed on your issue!

Rich.

Also see my previous post.

On the motor end there will be a slide lever. On my particular electric Power Gear/Kwikee motor the brake slide clockwise to lock the brake, but check your MFG's manual. You could also call Lippert as they have bought out PowerGear/Kwikee and have been receptive to my phone calls. My opinion is that the motor brake lever is not firmly set causing that one side of the slide to drift out.

I also have a "manual" override. After checking that the brake(s) are correct, there is a small pin hole in my slide controller. With a tooth pick or paper clip I push the button inside the hole for 6 seconds and the light will start blinking. I can use the in and out button to bring in each side NEVER exceeding two inches difference. They can be pressed simultaneously to bring in both sides at the same time - sort of defeats the purpose of automation. In you case, and if you have that "manual" override, push one or the other of the in/out button until both ends are seated. That is supposed to sync the motors. If the drifting out is still there it may be time to replace the motor - or let the repair facilities take a crack at it.

Rots of ruck!