rhart

Why SD For Mail? Why Not FL Or Other No Tax States?

Would seem that most RV owners use SD. If we are considering buying a home in FL some day is there any reason that FL won't work just as well? I like the email selection ability for forwarding at the SD mail box biz but I'm guessing there is a FL mail house that has the same technology. Additionally car registration fees in FL are very low. Sales tax is 3% more than SD so there is that benefit but if tax is paid it seems FL would be an advantage over SD. Am I missing something?

Thank you for your input.

Escapee's has mail service with Florida, South Dakota, and Texas residency. I believe that Good Sam and others offer Florida residency's also. If you plan to eventually land in Florida, then having a Florida address makes sense. The biggest drawback to Texas and Florida is the sales tax on automobiles and especially Motorhomes when compared to SD. We register our coach in Montana, with a Texas residency, for that reason.

I've used the boys in Montana for car for years. I just learned that NH in addition to no income tax has no sales tax. I'm going to look into that state tho since they are never mentioned in the same breath as FL and SD I'm guessing there must be a snag.

A lot of RVers use FL. We chose SD because it was more convenient for us and at the time (13 years ago) there was some sort of yearly tax that was repealed right after that. I am not sure about how FL handles jury duty but TX gives you a waiver if you use Escapees -Livingston as an address and SD takes you off the rolls.

I don't think MT does that or is as friendly to full timers in other ways.