astmi

Vehicle Choices-- Towable 4 Wheels Down?

A few vehicles I am interested to for towing 4 wheels down are Honda Odyssey and Dodge Caravan. The are not listed as towables as per FMCA list of towables.

Could anyone tell me if they can be towed 4 wheels down with the engine running. The owners' manuals are silent on this issue. I know that some RVers have towed unlisted vehicles with the engine running without any damage to the transmission.

I suggest checking to see if any manufacturers of base plates build a baseplate for the vehicles you're interested in and check with Remco for a transmission lube pump.

There is most likely a very good reason they are silent on this issue...they don't recommend it.

astmi,

Sorry my friend, but towing a vehicle with the engine running is a very bad idea. First it is a way to burn up your engine due to very bad air circulation for the engine. As Jim said, check to see if there is anyone that makes base plates for you vehicle and if Remco has a transmission fluid pump for your vehicle.

Herman

We have a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country (basically the same as Dodge Caravan) and have towed it 4wheels down more than 50,000 miles with no problems with a REMCO Lube pump. Had it installed at Camping World. You just have to leave key on and in neutral. Easy.