scottcampbell

Low Xantrex Float Charge Voltage

We have had a Freedom 458 inverter motorhome for 11 years and it has been trouble free. It seems to keep my four Trojan T-105s happy. Last February, we did our usual breakfast morning and the voltage was 12.0 v (it is usually 12.2 v). This occurs now, often. Batteries are 25 months old, fluids are regularly checked, terminals clean, and hydrometer readings are constant all across. Yesterday, when checking fluids, I thought about what the voltage was in the float mode. It read 14.3 vdc and I believe it should be a bit higher. Huge amount of storage capacity loss between 14.3 vdc and 14.7 to 14.8 vdc. Am I wrong? We are planning for an Alaskan tour next year and might be dependent on some serious dry camping. The more storage capacity, the better I will feel, plus the DW won't nag me to turn off the generator as it seems to take longer to reach charged capacity.

Scotty (person who lives with "can you turn off the generator now?")

Scotty,

For wet cell batteries, in the summer (warm temperatures), you want the float (not bulk or absorption) rate to be in the 13.2-13.5 VDC range. Colder temperatures, a bit higher.

14.3- 14.8 is OK for bulk mode, but would boil wet cell batteries if used 24/7.

I assume the 12.0-12.2 VDC range in the morning was after dry camping/ not being on shore power overnight.

Might scroll down this Trojan document to the charging section: http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/battery-maintenance/