Sign in to follow this  
jlandon13399

Black Beetles on Bottom of Motorhome

This is a new one on me. Last May when we left our storage spot for a trip, a lot of black beetles fell from the bottom of our motorhome right by the tires. As I pulled out, I did run over a lot of them. I called the management of the storage facility of explained the problem. They went out and looked at my neighbor's rigs and did not find any beetles. We went on a 1,000-mile round trip and parked the rig after the 10-day trip.

Two days ago I checked the rig, started the engine and pulled forward slightly. More beetles fell from the bottom again, just not quite as many. It seems like they stay in place until the rig is moved. Do they like the chassis grease or the air bags or air lines or what?

Has anyone experienced this, and if so, what did you do to remedy the problem?

Three years ago we got beetles in our awning over the door. They got in the awning somewhere in Oklahoma, and stayed until we got to Wisconsin. Each time we let the awning out they would stay close, but fly around the awning and top of the rig. As soon as we started the motor, they all flew back into the awning and stayed until the next stop. Weird, but kind of fun to watch.

So far as the beetles under the unit, is the wooden floor under your unit exposed? or is it covered with metal. Here in Georgia and perhaps elsewhere we have a wood boring beetle that is as destructive as termites. Suggest you examine flooring and/or any places that might allow access to wood flooring.

Secondly I would put a few in a jar and take them to your county agricultural agent, he/she surely could tell you about them, where they come from, and how to get rid of them.

Don't know what kind of beetles they are, and I would like to know. I have had Japanese Beetles, "orange with black spots", some call them "lady bugs", at my home, and placing moth balls

at the area where hibernate, helped in driving them away.

I had beetles last year and spread borax around inside coach and storage bays....no more beetles! Store any left over borax in a zip lock bag, if left in box it will get hard like cement!

I wonder how they saved it 50-100 years ago? :rolleyes:

FYI,

As many have had in their travels, ANTS. I have found a great thing to stop bugs. Works very well at my house. BUG STOP by Spectraside. I just spray around the base of the house and as bugs come in contact with it THEY DIE. Can be sprayed around the coach to stop ants as well.

Herman

Thanks for the replies. These beetles are about half the size of a dime and are all black. As far as I know they do not fly. I will try some of these remedies to see if they can be irradiated.

There is always something.....