dldrake

Extended Service Plan With Southeast Financial

Hi,

I just purchased a new to me, 2006 National Dolphin 36 foot class A, and am I seriously considering an extended service plan. Does anyone have experience with a plan from Southeast Financial?

Thanks

My two cents! I personally think extended warranty plans are not a good value because the majority of insurers do not play fair. It has been my experience that the insurance contracts are designed to enable the insurer to decline payment a substantial part of the time on items that you need to have covered. For instance, a friend had a engine fail catastrophically, metal shards all thru the engine. The insurer paid for the rebuild but would not pay for removal and overhaul of turbo because it had not failed. Within 10k miles the rebuilt engine failed again along with the turbo as a result of metal shards apparently in the turbo that spread through the engine again. Neither the rebuilder nor the insurer would stand by the repair. Had they authorized the flush ad tear down of the entire engine as is recommended by Cummins the second breakdown would likely not have occurred.

Read the fine print, talk to your RV dealer (that does not sell extended warranties) service manager and get information as to which insurers pay for repairs without incident. Check with service people as to whether policy covers items necessary, components that frequently fail.

When buying a used RV I have in the past accepted a extended warranty that I could get out of easily to drive the vehicle back home and to get some idea as to the condition of the vehicle. Once I was confident that the RV was OK, I canceled policy.

Take the money you would pay for the service contract and put it in the bank. You will have money to pay for repair when needed. I have had 6 motorhomes with only 1 being new and never had a problem I didn't expect. The new one was the most problematic.

I have not had a new one yet, that had less issues than a used one! Got rid off an '11 that I got new and in '13 bought the one I have now! Did the same as ribarklii.

dldrake,

You've asked a great question and the answers are widely discussed with many opinions. IMO: Before asking about a specific company it will be worthwhile to do two things: go to an independent broker, such as Wholesale Warranties, who represent the major companies in this business. They will also explain the different types of coverage plans typically offered (exclusive risks -- the following list of stuff is specifically exclude) and inclusive risks (only the following specific things will be covered). Then, decide the type of coverage that is important to you. No matter what company you go with -- or not -- it is critical that you know what to expect before you pay for any coverage.

Take the money you would pay for the service contract and put it in the bank. You will have money to pay for repair when needed. I have had 6 motorhomes with only 1 being new and never had a problem I didn't expect. The new one was the most problematic.

My experience also.

I am also researching extended service plans. Last year I purchased a used class A motorhome and purchased the Good Sam Service Plan through the dealer. I have had 3 claims this first year. The refrigerator went out and after my $100 deductible, they paid the service provider. The second, I replaced the coach water pump on vacation in Idaho and remembered to file a claim while the service provider was still in the coach, but after I had used my credit card for payment. Good Sam says it will take 30 to 60 days to review for any payment. (None received yet) Today, I had a service provider call and said my claim is denied for seeing no engine oil pressure on my guage 3 days ago, pulled over and checked the oil level and for any leaks (all good). I continued the last few miles to our RV park in Alaska where the service provider drove the 90 miles to look at the problem. His computer analyzer showed no previous oil pressure problem. Checked all the wiring, guage and sending unit. No problems. Started the engine and all worked fine. Good Sam refused to pay any of the $684.50 invoice as per their terms "nothing was found wrong". I am cancelling my plan and researching for another.

As others have stated, read the fine print. Theirs has a full page plus of exclusions.

Marvin Ledyard

My two cents! I personally think extended warranty plans are not a good value because the majority of insurers do not play fair. It has been my experience that the insurance contracts are designed to enable the insurer to decline payment a substantial part of the time on items that you need to have covered. For instance, a friend had a engine fail catastrophically, metal shards all thru the engine. The insurer paid for the rebuild but would not pay for removal and overhaul of turbo because it had not failed. Within 10k miles the rebuilt engine failed again along with the turbo as a result of metal shards apparently in the turbo that spread through the engine again. Neither the rebuilder nor the insurer would stand by the repair. Had they authorized the flush ad tear down of the entire engine as is recommended by Cummins the second breakdown would likely not have occurred.

Read the fine print, talk to your RV dealer (that does not sell extended warranties) service manager and get information as to which insurers pay for repairs without incident. Check with service people as to whether policy covers items necessary, components that frequently fail.

When buying a used RV I have in the past accepted a extended warranty that I could get out of easily to drive the vehicle back home and to get some idea as to the condition of the vehicle. Once I was confident that the RV was OK, I canceled policy.

Which company have you found to be easy to chop?

Factory refuses to accept Good Sams any more exactly or the reasons above. Hard to contact, hard to get approval, and maybe months to get paid.

This time around they sent me a list of who would accept Good Sams in our area. CW and two others. None, would I say, were familiar with RVs except CW. I go by there and it seems the same RVs are there 6 months in a row or more or work. However they did good jobs on three vehicles installing towing setups but not cheap.

Well if you can read all the negative reports on EW company's and you still want to give them your money, well be my guest. Please tell us how wonderfully they treated you. 

Bill 

jt. Welcome back!

Your right.  Not all EW's are bad...not all campers have the ability to self insure!  :)  If however you do and have to chose one of two evils, most of us will self insure...