tireman9

Indiana To Madison -- Around Or Through Chicago?

Question

Headed to Madison Monday see that I have 3 choices. We have a Class-C

I90 through downtown Chicago

I294

or

I355

Thoughts?

12 answers to this question

Roger,

Don't know the area, but tell us what time of day you will be coming through that area-- may make a real difference in best route.

Expect late afternoon Monday to be South of Chicago on I90, so I would expect that the I90 might be heavy with commute traffic.

Am leaning toward i294

From being on the Forum, I feel I have met many new friends. If you will be in Madison lets shake hands and say howdy. Bobbie and I are already here. If you see a utility cart with a driver in a red cap with "Water Service" on it flag me down. Love to meet you.
Herman

294 is OK, but I would go to 355 all the way up to I 90.

355 will probably have lighter traffic than 294; westbound 80 from the Indiana line to 355, though, can sometimes be a little heavy. Oh, and don't forget that both 294 and 355 are toll roads. EZ-Pass units are accepted and preferable, because 1) you don't have to stop when you have one and 2) cash price is DOUBLE the electronic price...

Thanks for the input. Yes I have EZPass and know it can save $$$.

Based on input will NOT do 90 Seem to recall doing I294 years ago as I thought I355 too far West or something. Will give I355 a shot.

Herman RE Saying HI.

Will try and keep an eye out.

Note I am giving 5 different Seminars. 2 on Tires and 3 on Genealogy Check the schedule for exact times and locations.

Late afternoon will give you no really good choices. You are going to have to fight your way to either 294 or 355. The only really good time to go through Chicago is late morning to early afternoon or the middle of the night. I planned my trips as a trucker with that in mind.. Make sure that you have an adequate balance on your EZ Pass account. You will be running toll roads from where you exit I-80 to head north all of the way to the Wisconsin line. EZ Pass does help at the toll plazas. The folks that pay cash will be backed up while you roll through.

From being on the Forum, I feel I have met many new friends. If you will be in Madison lets shake hands and say howdy. Bobbie and I are already here. If you see a utility cart with a driver in a red cap with "Water Service" on it flag me down. Love to meet you.

Herman

Herman, agreed! I feel the same way. One of these years I hope the rally is closer to home so I can meet you guys.

Living North of the area and traveling around Chicago every time we head East we use I80, 355 & 90 out and on the way home.

We have found that 94, 294, 290 are such a crap shoot. I have seen Chicago become a nightmare over hardly anything.

You are absolutely right about things falling apart quickly. Of course the Tireman will breeze right thru. I sometimes took I-70 to Indianapolis , took I-74 to Bloomington Illinois, and then I-39 north to Rockford, I'll. A short stretch of toll road and there was the Wisconsin Line. Further but much more peaceful.

Late afternoon will give you no really good choices. You are going to have to fight your way to either 294 or 355. The only really good time to go through Chicago is late morning to early afternoon or the middle of the night. I planned my trips as a trucker with that in mind.. Make sure that you have an adequate balance on your EZ Pass account. You will be running toll roads from where you exit I-80 to head north all of the way to the Wisconsin line. EZ Pass does help at the toll plazas. The folks that pay cash will be backed up while you roll through.

Do you have to have a EZ pass sticker on both the coach and the toad?

thanks,

Ron