Sign in to follow this  
john.leto@yahoo.com

Installing Roadmaster InvisiBrake on 2011 Jeep Wrangler

We just started towing a toad (2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited) this year. We haven't yet started using a brake system, but I can tell we could really use one. I am considering all systems, but like the idea of the Roadmaster InvisiBrake, because I don't want to put in and take it out all the time. was wondering a few things:

1, Is it difficult to install myself?

2. If I understand it correctly this system is not proportional. isn't that a bad thing?

3. Is there anything else (pro or con) I should know, (i.e., is there anything else I need to buy besides the brake system itself).

Hi John.

I have had the invisbreak on my last 3 toads and love it. I do a lot of 4 wheeling in all kinds of weather and conditions. I had a friend put mine in a Plexiglas box and it's mounted in rear off my Jeep Wrangler ( he did the same with the computer system) water and dust proof!

The unit has an adjustment knob on it and it takes a couple of tries, before you get the right setting for your coach, after that you don't change it unless you get a heavier or lighter toad or coach.

I had mine installed by a pro, so can't help you there.

I have a steel bumper on my Jeep and use the "D" ring holes for my tow bar. That way, I don't need to have a base plate installed...check out towing on this Forum and you'll learn a lot about it. There are some really good innovating ideas out there!

Good luck.

Carl

John,

Check out the M & G Engineering System. It works on a simple premise. It is an air cylinder, approx. 4" long, that goes between the Power brake booster and the master cylinder. Lloyd's idea is, have you ever tried to stop a vehicle with power brakes when the engine is off? It is very hard to override the booster. His unit applies the same pressure to the master cylinder in the same proportions as your coach. They make them for both Diesel (aka air brakes) and Gas coaches. I am sorry but I can't tell you anything about the unit for gas coaches, they have a compressor and I have never seen them. We are here in Madison and I will visit with Lloyd and try to understand the compressor model.

Happy and safe travels.

Herman

Super product backed by a super company. I bought one and had it installed by Camping World. The Camping World dealer I went to screwed up almost every aspect of the installation. After multiple attempts at having them resolve the issues, I installed it myself. If you have any questions, call Roadmaster. They are super. The unit itself had been damaged and they even replaced it free of charge. It works great. Plug in your light cord and hook up the break away cable and you are set to go.

John there has been some problems with the Roadmaster InvisiBrake while driving not hooked to RV, any dampness in the system or the wires to the system or voltage leak can cause the Invisibrake to engauge the brake just enough you wont feel it but when the rotters and pads will get hot enough that the car might lock the brakes up . Do a google I have seen a number of complaints on that system and some of the folks had been using it for a few yrs before it bit them. I hope I dont make anyone mad just trying to give a heads up of what I have seen posted and I do like Roadmaster Inc products and company a lot.

Walt

John there has been some problems with the Roadmaster InvisiBrake while driving not hooked to RV, any dampness in the system or the wires to the system or voltage leak can cause the Invisibrake to engauge the brake just enough you wont feel it but when the rotters and pads will get hot enough that the car might lock the brakes up . Do a google I have seen a number of complaints on that system and some of the folks had been using it for a few yrs before it bit them. I hope I dont make anyone mad just trying to give a heads up of what I have seen posted and I do like Roadmaster Inc products and company a lot.

Walt

Walt,

I took the liberty of forwarding a link to this thread to Roadmaster.

Here is the reply I just got back:

Brett - thanks for the opportunity to address this.

If the towed car's wiring diodes are in a location that allows the input terminals to get wet, then it is possible for electricity to migrate through the water between the diode terminals thereby energizing the braking system.
Because the current has to flow through water, the voltage is low. So we solved this "wet diode" problem by changing the amount of voltage required to turn the braking system on. We did this in March of 2012 so this should not be a concern for anything produced after this date.
If anyone experiences this on an older model of braking system, an easy solution is to seal the diodes so water cannot conduct electricity between the input terminals of the diode. If there is no shorting between terminals, there is no current to energize the system.

--

David Robinson

Roadmaster, Inc.