fbetenso@xmission.com

Help, my slideout extends while driving.

The large passenger side slide extends while driving. The coach is a new (Jan 2009) 2008 Discovery 40X. How many other 40X owners have had this happen? I live 200 miles from any Fleetwood repair center, if there are any left. I can block the slide with a piece of wood to keep it in. Has anyone replaced the slideout motor themselves? Should Fleetwood send a mobile RV repair to me?

Thanks, BD

BD,

Check your slide system. it might be hydrallic driven. If so get to a repair shop. My 2007 Gulfstream tourmaster has a hydrallic system that operates both the slides and jacks and steering. You best get a Fleetwood Dealer to check out the system. Yes you can block the slide. I have removable jacks to secure my slide while moving.

Good luck,

Bill

If you are saying that the slide moves out inches while driving, there should be a slide lock that was furnished with the coach to serve as a safety locking device for just that purpose. Many slides will move enough to unseal and gap open just a bit while driving because of the leaning and twisting of the coach. If you are saying that the slide actually extends most or all the way out when driving, get to some repair facility and have them find and repair the problem whether your slide is electically or hydraulically operated. Our previous coach had load lock type devices that clamped it snugly. This coach has rods with a male knob that fits into the sidewall and a plate that sets on a shelf on the back of the slideout flange. These are put in place after the slides are retracted and we are ready to move on. I have moved 200 or so miles on pretty straight and level roads without the locks installed and "SO FAR" have not had the slides move one bit but I definitely will put them in on longer, rougher trips.

I also have a Fleetwood MH and it has three interlocks which should prevent slide deployment while underway. Call Fleetwood at 800-322-8216. They still have service in Decatur IN and those folks know their stuff. If you are near Atlanta call the folks at Apalachee RV Center 770.868.0999.

Guest Wayne77590

Are those electrical motor operated slides. My Winne has electric motors and they had to tighten the brake adjustment. It would slip out at the bottom 4 or 5 inches. After adjustment it slips out about 1/2 inch on the bottom and my next time in the shope I'll have them re-adjust it.

I also have a 40x that the slide kept on opening a few inches after checking the brake handle on the motor and making sure it was ingaged I have not had any problems .

if you can see the back end of you slide out motor, if it is electrically drivin out, there may be a small lever roght on the end of the motor. move that lever the other direction and see if that will fix your problem. at any rate i recommend you cut a couple of 4x4's to use a travel locks while in transit

steve sandidge

camping world rv univ

class 54

91 rambler imperial

I also have a 2008 Discovery 40X. I had the same problem with my coach. The dealer found that the wiring harness for

that slide had an abrasion and was preventing the slide lock from engaging. They repaired the abrasion and rerouted the wires to prevent future problems. They also did the same for the other slide. Problem fixed!

Here is a situation I had with my 2000 Pace Arrow, 33 feet long with two slides

I had a situation where the bedroom slide out came out of the body of the coach about 6 inches when I went

around a sharp curve. I said Shux and found a place on the side of the road to pull over. Upon close inspection

I found that the ''pen'' going thru the gear on the end of the electric motor had ''sheared off'' . Upon further

investigation I discovered that this was critical to keeping the bedroom slide out ''in'' while traveling. I also discovered

that with the pen sheared off, the bedroom slide out would not travel to the closed position (in possition) because the

motor power was not transfered to the shaft. I said ''Shux'' again.

After a lot of shouting thru the wall at Willa and a lot of pushing by myself we finally got the bedroom slide most of the way

back into the body of the coach. I got out my rule and my trusty saw. I measured the length of ''tree'' I would need and

did a ''Davy Crocket'' into the big woods and found the appropriate piece of limb and sawed both ends at a slight angel.

Back at the coach I tied a piece of rope around the limb and I forced the limb between the wall and the edge of the room inside

the bedroom. After some effort I managed to bang the limb all the way to the floor with my trusty hammer. the bedroom slide

was flush against the side of the coach and it was ''locked in position'' by the tree limb. The piece of rope is there for handy removal of the limb when I got home.

Changing this little ''pen'' was another story. It seems that ther really ''snart'' people at Fleetwood had figured out the very worst place to put this motor/gear arrangement in the whole world. It is in a small compartment under the bedroom on the passenger side of the coach. You can see it but you can not reach it or you can reach it with one hand but you can not look

at it at the same time. You have to re-align the holes in the shaft and gear and take a long punch (I made one) and carefully

bang out the old pen. I have found that you can take a five millimeter allen wrench cut to about two inches in length and grind off just a little of the octigon points and grind the end to a bullet point, that it will work just fine in this existing hole. You will need pair of long nose vice grips and some luck to get the pen in the gear. You will also need a long punch and a hammer to bang the pen into the hole. I have made this fix on my coach and it works fine.

Dont forget to reset the break lever on the back of the motor when you are thur.

Also, I went into my workshop and cut two 2 x 4's the exact length needed to ''lock the rooms shut'' if I needed them. I keep them in the backroom claoset and they are labled as to which fits what. Dont forget to put a short length of rope on them so you can remove them when necessary ..... Its a P.I.A. to get them out without the ropes because of the close confinement between the wall and the closet......

I would strongly advise everyone to carry these ''emergency room stops'' because you never know when you might need them

and they make good fire wood in an emergency.

There will be a ten cent charge if you use this information.

You can pay me the next time you see me....

Seajay the sailor man

The large passenger side slide extends while driving. The coach is a new (Jan 2009) 2008 Discovery 40X. How many other 40X owners have had this happen? I live 200 miles from any Fleetwood repair center, if there are any left. I can block the slide with a piece of wood to keep it in. Has anyone replaced the slideout motor themselves? Should Fleetwood send a mobile RV repair to me?

Thanks, BD

Thanks, BD

Sorry for the double reply Our Bounder slide creeped out, cause was a fleetwood employee hung a roll of extra wire on the motor switch with just enough weight to make it creep out a quarter Inch,, don't know why it waited a year to start .

my Rexhall bedroom slide would creep out about an inch plus when parked in storage. It is hydraulic.

they found a bad oring on the valve spool for that slide control. They replaced the entire spool because it was still under warranty.

No problem since.

Bebop San Jose, CA

Guest Wayne77590

Brentdixie (BD)

Did you ever figure out the problem?