rhart

New Forester 3011DS OR 15 yr Old Bluebird Wanderlodge

New class C for 75k or older well kept Bluebird at 125k. It would be my first RV so I would like input from you experienced owners. Capable of driving either and am aware of Class C vs Class A issues. Mainly asking from a standpoint of repairs, general maintenance issues and depreciation.

Thank you

rhart,

This just my feelings, 75k new will depreciate the minute you drive off the lot, while the Bluebird has pretty much depreciated down to where the condition will be the best determination to value. That being said, new will have all new accessories (plus all the warranty issues that come with a new RV), while the 15 year old coach will have 15 year old accessories.

Have you ever been out in a Motor home? If not might I suggest that you rent one to see if you will like it. Renting one is costly but is a small cost if you decide you don't care for it. If you do like it then you might get a idea of what you would want in your own.

Herman

The two are so VERY different in size, mechanicals, build quality, etc that it would be difficult to understand that both could make your short list.

Said another way, I can see either hitting someone's short list, but to have both on it suggests you have not determined what fits YOUR needs best.

My recommendation is to spend time sitting in, crawling around and just generally getting a better "feel" for choices on your short list.

No comparison - I had a C once- now on my 4th Wanderlodge

Attend the rally in October in Pine Mountain, Ga for a chance to see 125 Bluebirds.

I have rented a Class C some years ago. Additionally I've done lots of DD though only on the web. I'm now at the point where I will drive both.

Here are some further facts. Herman wisely mentions depreciation the minute you drive off...etc. While quite familiar with new German cars doing just that (50% in 3 or 4 years) I started the search ONLY looking to buy used for that reason. I looked at 2012 to 2014 Class C Foresters for high 60's to low 80's. I just assumed that they must cost $120K new. Then for fun I convinced my local dealer I wasn't an full bred idiot and asked what a new one cost. $75K. Wow. That really changed the dynamics here. Depreciation seems much less than I ever expected. I thought you couldn't give away a used RV.

Another eye opener: I read with interest on the various forums the litany of repair issues with brand new Forest River and Jayco coaches. So many issues and so many buyers I am now forced to throw that factor out. (The issues only made worse by many dealers disdainful treatment of customers).

It seems like everyone agrees that ALL coaches are fix it hogs. So perhaps the Bird in the long run isn't any more a maintenance hog than a large Class C. I don't like the ridiculous cost of tires on the A but the Bird is big enough to buy one with no sliders and delete that possible break item.

I don't really need the room of the big Class A but do like all the gadgets and the huge fresh water and holding tanks. I've always thought the Wanderlodge looked sharp but I want to be practical. My vicious attack Labradoodle feigns disinterest. Hence I'm asking the folks who have been there and done that.

Just my opinion, I wouldn't trade my conversion for two class c any brand. But look carefully at the engine on the Bluebird, and the ability to

have it repaired. Good luck deciding!

All parts for all Detroit engines are available. If safety is a concern, a Wanderlodge has steel sides, top and bottom . They are heavy, which equals massive build. Step in a Wanderlodge and it doesn't sway.

Your money, your choice, pick what makes your wife happy.

I bought used class a with 80k. Wanted something someone else had worked the bugs out of. My 2001 National now has 109k and no troubles. Used if well maintained is going to get you more for your money.

How you are going to use it will make a big difference between a C or an A.

If you are buying from a dealer you can often get a warranty also.

Can you tell me the towing capacity of the old Birds? I assume a 4,000 lb car is nothing to these rigs?

I bought used class a with 80k. Wanted something someone else had worked the bugs out of. My 2001 National now has 109k and no troubles. Used if well maintained is going to get you more for your money.

How you are going to use it will make a big difference between a C or an A.

If you are buying from a dealer you can often get a warranty also.

Soderquist,

What sort of warranty should I expect on a 2000 to 2005 high quality Class A? I didn't think there were any warranty being given on anything that old.

Soderquist,

What sort of warranty should I expect on a 2000 to 2005 high quality Class A? I didn't think there were any warranty being given on anything that old.

Depends on the price. At some price, "AS IS" is reasonable and just fine. At some higher price, some kind of a warranty/service policy may be reasonable.

As you mention, there is no "remaining" original warranty on a coach of that age, though there could be the remainder of some kind of extended service policy (verify that it is transferable).

rhart;

Since you are also under Towing with a 30' Class C, I presume that is what you decided on.

Good luck and happy travels.

Hi Carl

Def. decided to go 40 to 42' DP. I posted to you on my other thread...

rhart.

I read it. Now things are making sense! Please let us know what DP you finally buy. You have time and your looking, so that is a good thing.

Regards

Carl

Will do. I see you drive a 45 footer. What is AMC? I can't find it on rvtrader.