F432216

Extended Waranty on Last Coach: Your Thoughts

We've just purchased a 2016 Tuscany GQ. The extended warranty started out costing about $14,000 bumper to bumper for 7 years, then went down to $9,000, and now it's down to $7,000.

Never had extended warranty on our other motorhomes; this is probably our last coach. We're not full-timers, although we do spend about 6 months a year in it, parked.

What are your thoughts?

F432216,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

You might start by taking a few minutes to scroll through this "Buying a Motorhome" section. Extended service policies are an often-discussed topic.

My personal view of any insurance policy is to cover thing I am not able or willing to risk myself. So, a look at the coach, chassis and appliance warranties to see what is covered for free would be an excellent place to start.

I would put the money in a savings account. You have a new coach with a warranty. I think it depends on how able you are to do your own maintenance and repairs.

Bill

You said you spend most of your time parked. The cost of the warranty would more then pay for most repairs to appliances.

Motor drivetrain issues are the ones tough to swallow.

When we bought our current coach in 2000, we fell prey to the salesman's tactics and spent $7,000 on an extended warranty. In all of our trips (including two clear across the USA), while it was in effect, we never had anything go wrong that was covered by that extended warranty. Manufacturer's warranty covered several things.

If we had faithfully made the equivalent monthly payment to a "Repairs" account, it would have easily paid for everything that has needed repairs (except a new roof). We still have our original refrigerator (had an out of level safety device installed at the Pomona FMCA Homecoming this spring) and hot water heater. The original water pump bit the dust a few years ago and we replaced it with a unit that includes a pressurized reserve tank (love that feature).

Since you will be parked for 6 months at a time, be sure you treat the fuel and park with a full tank. Also, watch out for rodent damage (they love wiring for some reason). A coach is meant to be driven and optimally we drive ours for at least one 25 mile trip every month to make sure the turbocharger warms up to operating speed.

On 8/8/2015 at 11:45 AM, sergeantsue said:

Also, watch out for rodent damage (they love wiring for some reason).

A little known fact about the covering in todays electric wiring dielectric's these days, a pretty high percentage of that plastic covering is soybean because of the green energy rules. That's why rodents love it. Not political, just fact.🙃 It's an upside down world. LOL

1 hour ago, rsbilledwards said:

When you reply to my PM on the RVA system we can discuss this post as well, look forward to it... b

You do realize that was Posted August 8, 2015

Bill