downadirtroad

Mystery Switch

Okay, after spending a lot of time going over everything and getting accustomed to our new (to us) motorhome, we still have one mystery switch.

The switch is in the bathroom on the side of the vanity, right above the toilet paper roll as you can see in the picture. It has that funny little red light thing next to it, and it does flash red a split second after the switch is flipped up (on?), but that's it. No clicking, lights, noises, missing functionality that we can identify, or anything else. Just a random switch of some sort.

The couple we bought the motorhome from had no idea what the switch was for either and they owned it for 12 years. lol. They said as much when we did our walk through before buying the motorhome. It was a running joke with them as to what the switch might or might not do. So, the search continues.

There is a little case behind this switch inside the cabinet, it doesn't appear to have anything to do with the water heater (there's a another switch for that just to the right of the picture. Nothing turns on or off with the switch. I have the wiring schematics for the coach, but haven't dug into them enough yet to figure out this switch.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have the same switch? It's in a 2002 Dolphin 5342, 35' double slide coach on a workhorse chassis.

post-46624-0-31428300-1438220760_thumb.j

Our old 93 Southwind had a water pump switch near the throne. That could be it but the light should stay with pump active. Sounds like the switch is bad if the light just blinks when flipping the switch. Maybe check continuity of the switch to see if there is a problem with the switch.

LOL, activating the cat alarm. That's a pretty rare option I would imagine...

It could be that the switch is bad and that's why it's not doing whatever its supposed to do, I'll have to check that out. I wasn't paying enough attention typing last night, there's another switch for the water pump (not water heater as I typed last night) in the bathroom, so maybe this is another switch for the water heater but it doesn't work. I'll have to check that out, also will have to check to see if the light comes on when the water heater is turned on by the main switch in the galley.

Herman, the outlet is on the side of the vanity, so I'm sure the boss agree it needs to be there.

I wish I had a pump switch by the water closet. Does light come on when pump is turned on from another location? If not, indicator light might be out. Determine first if that is what switch is actually for.

A long time ago, a friend told me about a black tank system that had an electric grid that would render toilet paper to ash and dry out solids before it was released to the tank and a macerator. He said the switch had a red light that would turn green, when the deed was done! :wacko:

This is the first time I have thought off that since.... :rolleyes:

Carl

Dirt,

Is the switch an off/on switch or momentary? If off/on who knows. If it is a momentary switch them it is a switch for the pump. The momentary the switch when pushed will either active the pump relay or deactivate it.

I understand your boss wanting a outlet at the vanity. But what is the TP holder doing by the vanity?

From the answers you have gotten, no one can say the Forum family doesn't have a sense of humor.

When you solve the mystery let us know.

Herman

I have to admit, I have been remiss in further investigating the mystery switch. We're on vacation now visiting some family, but will start the journey home tomorrow. Maybe during the post-trip shake down I'll remember to dig into the subject some more. Knocking on wood as I type, it looks like my repair/replace list from this trip is almost non-existent.

One more thought on this.

In my 2008 Gulfstream, I have a similar switch that activates the holding tank heater pads. My switch stays illuminated when on, so maybe there is a problem with the circuit.

My switch is also unmarked, but I was able to get someone from the factory to idenify it for me.

Good luck, and safe travels.

We have one under the dash on our coach, very small toggle switch, no idea where it goes and doesn't seem to do anything. Someday I will figure it out when I feel like removing panels to chase the wires