Sign in to follow this  
nkgunner

Upgrading To Flat Screen TV With KVH TracVision L2/S2

We want to upgrade to Flat Screen TV with KVH TracVision L2/S2 but after speaking with a dealer of the KVH products they say it will be a BIG job. First KVH L2/S2 is no longer updateable/supported by them and are obsolete.
The coach has DirecTV with (2) converters. The previous owners disconnected them and there are no instructions for them. We have DirecTV Genie at home and were planning on putting them in the coach when traveling.

Has anyone replaced the old TV's with flat screens using the KVH L2/S2? What do I need to do to make it happen?

OR....

Just buy a portable unit and forget the roof mount KVH..

George
2005 34' Country Coach Allure 430
2012 Honda CRV

Portable, about $300-400, roof mount $2,400 installed + whatever you need to do for K band. Most rv parks have cable and more channels than I need!

I have Direct at home and starting to hate it! 285 channels and 50% of them are infomercials. Bah!

Carl

I have an S2 and have changed all 3 TV's to flat screens.You will not have HD while watching satellite,only while using the over the air antenna.There is nothing different in the coaxial connections.

Thanks guys..I think I will go ahead and do the TV's. Will see what DirecTV or Dish have to say about boxes..I hope it works out like newnar05 did...THANKS!

If using the Genie from home, the main receiver must move to the motorhome, the daughters will not work without the mother attached to the same dish.

I just pay the extra five dollars per month and use a stand alone receiver in the mh. I have three TV's attached to the one receiver, use an rf remote for simplicity. We just all have to watch the same channel.

kay,

I did not have Genie at the time. 4 separate receivers and I took the one from my garage. Worked great at the time.

Now I have a useless DISH on roof, should have stuck with Direct! Next week I'll be getting a portable from CW and it will have DTV. Where I spend August in CO. a roof mount does me no good and park cable is 4 channels.

Like you, I'll pay the $5 bucks, since now I have a Genie at home!

Use rabbit ears in garage...LOL

Carl

DODENTHAL, Welcome to the Forum.

You have probably seen roof mounted open dish or a trackvision pod. Portable units look similar, but they are not attached to coach. You take them out off storage bay at CG and place them in a clear sight area away from coach. You can get them for any satellite provider. Google Camping World and look under Portable satellite receivers and you will see a picture off each and description!

There are several links here for flat screen TV conversion!

Carl