Sign in to follow this  
dutchstar3812

Replacing Ball Joint Rubber Boots-- Denver Area

The rubber boots on the ball joints of my 2004 DutchStar have rotted. Cummins Rocky Mountain here in Denver, CO does not have the equipment to make the repair and don't know of any local shop that does. Surely someone has had the ball joints on their motorcoach done in the Denver area.

I will contact Newmar and Spartan on Monday but thought some of the local members might know of a facility in Colorado or surrounding states that can do the work.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

dutchstar3812,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Three choices I see for repair:

1. Continue to grease them very frequently and only replace (replace ball joints, not just boots) when they develop play.

2. Do #1 and install a "makeshift" boot without disassembling the front end.

3. Replace the ball joints now. Not sure it would be worth the labor of just replacing the boots on 11 year old ball joints.

And, yes, Spartan would be the one I would ask for shop recommendations.

I have considered all three ideas. I have sent an email to Spartan Support for their input on a local shop. There are a lot of comments on this boot issue in IRV2 forum. Quite a few that have done Nos. 1 & 2 above and depending on what Spartan says and the cost I probably will follow suit, especially since I don't currently have a steering problem. It makes sense to replace the ball joints if the rubber boots are replaced (wouldn't be much increase in price). I really would like to get an estimate on cost before making the final decision.

Thanks for the reply and input. It's always nice to get different opinions.

Having a 2000 Spartan Chassis, we had the same issues. Boots were dry rooted. Ended up having them replaced. It was covered under warranty, but in the event that our warranty wouldn't covered it, I would opted for a make shift boot as Brett mentions and "keeping them well greased".

Heavy truck repair shop specializing in suspension work can handle that type of work. We're from upstate NY and use Eagle Diesel in Kingston for ours, cost was about 2700.00 (thank goodness for extended warranty)

One thing good to know; let the shop know two things. The ball joints are not pressed in, they're screwed in (on 2000 anyway).

and the 2nd; the ball joint manufacture has special wrenches for installation. They cost about $3000.00 to buy, or place a deposit on a set of loaners. There is a waiting list on the loaner tools, took about 10 weeks before they arrive at the repair facility.

Hopes this helps.