kaelalynn

Problem Airing Truck Tires

I feel a little on the stupid side to be asking for help on something we've done for years or decades, put air in car tires, but I'm new to truck tires on an RV. I can' to get a some of the tires to accept air. I've used four different air tools but no success. I have a pressure gage that will read the air pressure, so I assume that if air will come out it should go in. I tried turning the valve core a turn, no luck. The inner dually is where I'm having the most trouble. I'm guessing it has to do with valves being stacked on top of valves. The first valve that mates to the tire, an extender valve, and a TPMS valve. I have a tire that is losing a pound or two a week and need to get some air into it. Suggestions?

You will need to make sure that the air tank you are getting air from has a higher PSI rating than what the tire is requiring. If the tire needs 120 psi but your tank is only capable of delivering 100 psi then you don't have enough pressure to air up the tire.

Be sure your tank gauge is set to a higher psi. My tank is rated for 150 psi also but there is a gauge where I can lower the psi. There is an adjustment knob to do this. I had this problem once and finally noticed that someone had messed with the gauge and lowered it to 100 psi. I raised it to 150. Problem solved.

Don

Thanks for the responses. I have set the tank to 150 psi, and that helped. I have been able to get the tires pressured up at the cost of one TPMS unit. The Schrader valve core twisted out of alignment. I started removing the pass-through TPMS valves and that also helped. The seems to go up about 3 psi a minute. That seems awful slow compared to a car tire. Maybe I'm just getting old and the arthritis makes it hard to hold that much pressure tight against the valve. At any rate I seven tires aired, but one refuses to gain even with the TPMS valve removed. I'm guessing the problem is with the added valve extender. I plan to remove it tomorrow and see what happens.

I had one that was the extender, doing the same thing you are describing. I can't remember exactly what the problem was but replacing the extender solved the problem.

Three PSI per minute sounds maybe a little slow but it does take a while to put enough air into those big tires to make a change in pressure. I have a chuck that has groves on the inside, it locks onto the valve when you tilt it slightly to the side. That way I don't have to hold it the entire time. Occasionally it won't lock on but most of the time it works fine.

By the way, I can air my bicycle tires up to 100 pounds in about 1 second with my air compressor. :P

Tom,

Thanks for the info. If only science or prayer would find a way to move my 30,000# MH on bicycle tires. I would definitely be one happy camper! About one second you say? My hands would sure appreciate that.

I'm going to start looking for a locking chuck, but I'm concerned about damage to the valve stem grooves.

Again thanks to everyone for the responses!

Kaelalynn,

I have used the on-board compressor built into the MH. It is 125 psi and will inflate the tires about 2-3 pounds every 30 seconds or so. I'm with the other's that the extension on the tire is most likely the problem. I found it slightly difficult to inflate the tires but I used a dual trucker tire inflator so it was push and pull that made it easier.

This year I went to the flow through TST TPMS but before I put them on, and since I was purchasing new tires, I ordered and had installed the Dually Valve valve stems. What a difference. Now they are all push to inflate and no pulling. Well worth the financial drain.

Good luck and happy trails.

Wayne,

Thanks for the info. I bookmarked the valve-stem site and intend to check it out a little more latter today. I'm also going to see what I can do about hooking into my onboard compressor. If it fills at the rate you said, then using my 6-gal, 150 psi compressor is probably giving me about all it can. I'm afraid I'm needing all the tips I can get due to growing old. My hips were telling me I stayed too long in the awkward positions trying to get the job done. I can testify that growing old ain't for sissies!

And by the way, Simper Fi.

Kaelalyn...regarding your hips, I have bad knees and found that using a mechanics tool stool (short seat with rollers) works wonders. Stores easily. They run anywhere from 20-50 dollars depending on where you buy. I got mine at Amazon -- http://www.amazon.com/Torin-Jack-TR6300-Creeper-Seat/dp/B000COC67E/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1438868342&sr=1-1&keywords=tool+seat

I have a 6 Gal - 150 psi compressor at the S&B. IT works fine for those 4-6 pounds needed. The pressure will drop pretty fast because the volume is not there in the 6 gal tank but I found if you just keep the inflator on the stem it will equalize and build back up to 110 psi. The other way I'll do it is to let the 6 Gal reach 150 psi then shock the tire and if the compressor kicks on I release the inflator and wait for it to build up again. Hey, I'm retired so I have the time.

The built in compressor on my coach fills the onboard tanks to 125 psi. I have had no problem inflating my tires to the 110 psi level. I carry a 50 foot air hose with quick connect chucks. I purchase on of the air inflators with the guage attached and the end clips and locks on the stem so I don't have to keep hand pressure on it. The guage is accurate and I still check with a digital gauge I have. Both read the same.

My TST TPMS reads 4-5 pounds under what my other 3 gauges all reading the same 110 psi. I just live with that and compensate with the setup of the TPMS. I have been told that the TPMS is more accurate but I don't feel that way when 3 other gauges all read the same.