dickandlois

Bridgestone Tires

Question for the Tierman !

After looking around at different tires and availability, this is my question regarding the slight differences.

The Specifications match the XZE2 series almost number for number.

The differences between The Mechilen XRV 235/80/R22.5 - Specs a diameter of 37.4in., Width of 9.2in., Minimum Dual spacing of 10.3. Revs per mile 556. Tire load single 4675@110lbs. Dual load of 4410@ 110Lbs.

The Bridgestone R268 Ecopia - 245/75/R22.5 Specs a diameter of 37.4in., Width of 9.6in. unloaded. Width of 10.6in. Loaded. REVS per mile 555. Tire load single 4675@110Psi. Tire Load Dual@110Psi. 4300Lbs.

I could not high light the Dual load difference and the Dual spacing are my main concern ! It appears that the advanced functions of the forum are not working on my computer because of the network engine I use.

Rich.

DickandLois

I just changed out my front tires do to age from Bridgestone to Michelin that were on the rear. They are the XRV 235/80/r22.5. My unit has 97000 miles on it so there is some play in the steering and I did notice that it tracks straighter but the BIG difference is both were run at 100psi but the ride is lot softer with the Michelins. I was able to get mine in two days from my local Firestone dealer and were with in $20 of the FMCA price with build dates of march this year.

Rod

Have you looked at Continental HSL2 tires they are Continental's low rolling resistance fuel saving tire. I am planning on looking at them closely when I need to change tires. I have heard good reports from members.

I will be interested to see what the Tireman has to say. I don't think you would be able to tell the difference.

Bill

Question for the Tierman !

After looking around at different tires and availability, this is my question regarding the slight differences.

The Specifications match the XZE2 series almost number for number.

The differences between The Mechilen XRV 235/80/R22.5 - Specs a diameter of 37.4in., Width of 9.2in., Minimum Dual spacing of 10.3. Revs per mile 556. Tire load single 4675@110lbs. Dual load of 4410@ 110Lbs.

The Bridgestone R268 Ecopia - 245/75/R22.5 Specs a diameter of 37.4in., Width of 9.6in. unloaded. Width of 10.6in. Loaded. REVS per mile 555. Tire load single 4675@110Psi. Tire Load Dual@110Psi. 4300Lbs.

I could not high light the Dual load difference and the Dual spacing are my main concern ! It appears that the advanced functions of the forum are not working on my computer because of the network engine I use.

Rich.

Not sure what your exact question is.

The dimensions and load capacities at the stated inflation are very similar. What is your measured load on each side of your rear axle?

Have you looked at Continental HSL2 tires they are Continental's low rolling resistance fuel saving tire. I am planning on looking at them closely when I need to change tires. I have heard good reports from members.

I will be interested to see what the Tireman has to say. I don't think you would be able to tell the difference.

Bill

I would be careful about any claims for any performance characteristic made by any individual tire company. Its all to easy to claim Our tire is better when you don't really know what the other tire is that they are using as a reference.

Now for Fuel Economy there is a rating that all tire companies can apply for. EPA Smart Way

I think a good question to ask your tire dealer is "Do your tires meet these standards."

Not sure what your exact question is.

The dimensions and load capacities at the stated inflation are very similar. What is your measured load on each side of your rear axle?

The load varies from time to time> So is there a % number one can use above the load measured for the pressure setting, before one needs to increase tire pressures?

Thanks for your reply!

The main issue that concerns me when using Bridgestone tires is not running into a scrubbing problem on the rear duels. They list a 9.6in. unloaded width and a 10.6 loaded width.

Michelin lists a 9.2in width with a duel spacing of 10.3in. for the XRV 235/80/22.5 tires.

Not sure how to compare these numbers!

Just got some Diameter base line numbers.

XRV tire OD is 37.7in. With 110Lbs. of air the circumference is 116-7/8in.

The uninflated circumference should be around 99.5in.

If my numbers are close then the circumference increases by around 15%

Rich.

I would be careful about any claims for any performance characteristic made by any individual tire company. Its all to easy to claim Our tire is better when you don't really know what the other tire is that they are using as a reference.

Now for Fuel Economy there is a rating that all tire companies can apply for. EPA Smart Way

I think a good question to ask your tire dealer is "Do your tires meet these standards."

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to which tires have the best rating and what does it mean. I was not advocating for anything other than hear there is another product to look at.

This is from the Continental web site:

Advanced compounding with low rolling resistance contributes to fuel efficiency.

HSL2 and HSL2 Eco Plus are verified for low rolling resistance by the U.S. EPA SmartWay Transport Partnership.

Bill

The load varies from time to time> So is there a % number one can use above the load measured for the pressure setting, before one needs to increase tire pressures?

Thanks for your reply!

The main issue that concerns me when using Bridgestone tires is not running into a scrubbing problem on the rear duels. They list a 9.6in. unloaded width and a 10.6 loaded width.

Michelin lists a 9.2in width with a duel spacing of 10.3in. for the XRV 235/80/22.5 tires.

Not sure how to compare these numbers!

Rich.

A review of the tire Load - Inflation charts would tell you when you need to increase your inflation by the next 5 psi incrament. BUT it is generally recommended that you use the heaviest expected loads for your basic minimum inflation. You should probably not be playing a game with lowering inflation to the bare minimum needed to carry the load.

Personally I prefer to see people have a minimum of 10% extra load capacity with 15% or greater being better. Most car companies have a "reserve load" (excess capacity) of 13% to 20%.

Currently I suggest:

Weigh the corners of the coach when it is at its heaviest.

Consult the tables to learn the MINIMUM inflation needed to carry the load on the heavier side of each axle.

Consider that pressure to be the MINIMUM you should ever run.

Set your TPM warning to that pressure not 10% or 15% below the minumum

Your CIP should be at least the minimum + 10% and as long as you don't exceed the max for the tire or wheel you would round up to the next 5 psi increment.

Ensure your digital pressure gauge is accurate to +/- 2 or 3 psi.

I have covered gauges and how to do the calculations in a number of posts on my RVTireSafety.com blog

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to which tires have the best rating and what does it mean. I was not advocating for anything other than hear there is another product to look at.

This is from the Continental web site:

Advanced compounding with low rolling resistance contributes to fuel efficiency.

HSL2 and HSL2 Eco Plus are verified for low rolling resistance by the U.S. EPA SmartWay Transport Partnership.

Bill

I'm not aware of any rating numbers or stars or letter grade that cover tires from different companies. BUT I would consider all tires of the same size & Load Range that carry the "Smartway" rating to be essentially equivalent and better than tires that don't have the EPA rating.

Just as "your mileage may vary" when talking about car fuel economy the same goes for TBR tires but at least these large tires have been separated into two catigories. SmartWay and not SmartWay.