seajaycecil@yahoo.com

Emergency propane

Everyone knows that the large propane trucks will not refill our tank on our motor home ........NOPE JUST WONT DO IT ..... INSURANCE THINGIE...

I am sitting behind a garage in Denver waiting on a new transmission to come in. I am hooked up on water and electric and have permission to ''dump the gray'' as necessary. We have plenty of food and in four days we should have a new tranny in the old coach. I checked the propane and found that I have half a needle above empty......... OH DRAD.................''Yes Willa, I was going to get the propane filled at the next flying J but we didnt get to the ''next flyin J''

I said Shux.....................No one and I mean NO ONE would even talk to me about refilling my propane tank. I said Shux again. We discussed heating rocks in the microwave and sleeping with them on the foot of the bed..... NO GOOD.... We thought about running the heater but we are on a 15 amp drop cord from the window of the garage. No good ...... I said Shux again........... we talked about sleeping all day while it was warm and jogging all nite to stay warm. We were afraid we would get lost.. NOT GOOD ......... I finally called tripple A propane service and they said they could make me an ''adapter hose'' that would go from a 30 pound bottle of propane to my pressure reducer valve and I would have propane.......... AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAA... If you cant take the coach to the propane....BRING THE PROPANE TO THE COACH............ Now I have a hose and a propane bottle hooked to the coach and we are warm and clean and able to cook and Willa is talking to me again. I can exchange the bottle if necessary and I will always keep this filled bottle in the basement. It will have a ''plug'' in the opening and I will test it for leaks with soap and water and I will keep the adapter hose handy for emergencies when you are running our of propane and your wife is not speaking to you because she is afraid she is going to have to take a cold shower in a cold coach with cold food and all the ''bad stuff'' like that.

WARNING ........... IF YOU ATTACH OR CHANGE YOUR PROPANE LINES ON YOUR COACH YOU MUST ''BUBBLE CHECK'' ALL FITTINGS FOR INTEGRITY AFTER ANY CHANGES ARE MADE ..... USE DISHWASHING SOAP AND A LITTLE WATER AND WATCH THE BUBBLES TO SEE IF THEY GROW.....THEY MUST NOT GROW ANY, NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT...... NONE......... CHECK ALL FITTINGS AND WAIT FIVE MINUTES AND CHECK IT AGAIN.......Only then are you safe.

this useless information is for you choice of consumption but if you use it you will owe me ten cents the next time you see me and you can pay me then but on the other hand .......... IF IT DONT WORK FOR YOU ......... I NEVER KNEW YOU .

Seajay the sailor man ....

GOD BLESS THIS GREAT COUNTRY .................

Seajay,

What are you doing in Denver? I'll bet you are enjoying the great weather you've had lately! I hear that you can get helium balloons there, the big kind. With enough of them you could float your rig over the Rockies! You might even get on the national news media if you pick up some young kid!

By the way, Louise knows how to keep the propane tank full. She asks me about once a week, more often if the furnace runs at night. When she asks, she has this sound in her voice that lets me know that I'm on thin ice! I report that our tank is at 50% and she says we should fill it... again. I have to admit that we did run out of propane one time. It was our first trip as full timers. We decided to stay for the month of December in Borne, TX, just north of San Antonio. We had a great stay, drove the toad back to Missouri for Christmas, returned went out for New Years Eve on the River Walk. We had a wonderful time, ate dinner at a restaurant along the River Walk (they provided lap blankets to keep us warm). We danced to the music of several bands and enjoyed the fireworks at midnight over the Tower of the Americas. That night after we got home the furnace finally used the last gasp of propane so we woke up with the temperature in the motor home in the 40's. That was our last night we had paid for at the park so we filled the propane on the way out of the park and then headed as far south in Texas as we could go! When we got to Edinburg, Texas, Louise was finally warm so we stopped at a park there and have been there every winter since. If Louise hadn't been warm at Edinburg, we'd probably have gone to Mexico or Belize or somewhere south of there!!! I haven't let the tank run out since. Lesson learned.

So you are rebuilding your rig, one piece at a time. Aren't we all. I hope you get a good repair and are on the road soon. We're leaving California in a week headed for... Edinburg, Texas. I've got a tennis tournament waiting. Temperatures in the 80's and sunshine end to end.

Safe and warm travels sailor.

Guest Wayne77590

Seajay,

You and I have been communicating by email, so I'm not going to beat a dead horse here, but I do want to say one thing.

Remind me not to let you buy a lottery ticket for me. If it wasn't for bad luck you would not have any luck at all! :rolleyes:

Having Los Angeles as my home base, I have a few ideas that may (or may not) work. Check the directory for Motion Picture support companies. Many on site production companies use services that pump out their holding tanks, and refill their propane on location. This may also apply to construction site supply companies.

In Las Vegas there are two companies, I think related, that have mobile propane trucks that supply RV's. Also at the FMAC convention in Bend there was a propane service.

Use a "Stay A While" tee connector, available at various camping stores

It allows you to hook up an external propane tank

That is my suggestion. I have one so that I don't have to unhook everything just to go get propane. I use a 4 gallon grill bottle and run off that. It is much easier to get that filled than to fill the internal tank. I can run off the bottle for 4-5 days when using the furnace moderately, with the water heater on electric.