Sign in to follow this  
modemem

How Low Can You Go

I have a 1997 Rexhall Vision V29 and I'm considering going south for the month of January. My waste tanks are "heated" via the coach furnace but I'm wondering how safe it would be traveling in winter with waste water in the tanks? How safe are the dump valves as they are outside of the "heated" area? If any others have suggestions on how to travel safely in the winter I'd be interested in hearing from you. I've heard that putting a 100w light bulb in the dump valve compartment is a good idea?

Thanks Bill.

Where are you starting from? Would it be possible to travel for a day or two using rest stops, etc. before using the on board facilities? If so you might be able to get far enough south to escape the hard freeze temperatures before you have fluids in the tank.

I would be extremely careful using any kind of light bulb as a source of heat. Make sure there are no flammable materials (or meltable plastics) possible to contact the bulb. In a closed compartment, a small light bulb should easily keep the temperature above freezing. An alternative may be to wrap the exposed plumbing with insulation. Fluids in the tanks would then keep the valves from freezing.

Where are you starting from? Would it be possible to travel for a day or two using rest stops, etc. before using the on board facilities? If so you might be able to get far enough south to escape the hard freeze temperatures before you have fluids in the tank.

I would be extremely careful using any kind of light bulb as a source of heat. Make sure there are no flammable materials (or meltable plastics) possible to contact the bulb. In a closed compartment, a small light bulb should easily keep the temperature above freezing. An alternative may be to wrap the exposed plumbing with insulation. Fluids in the tanks would then keep the valves from freezing.

Hello TBUTLER I will be leaving from Northern KY. Yes I could use the rest stops as I have an old porta potti I could put in the shower stall. I guess another option would be to use RV anti freeze to flush the toilet with instead of water for a couple of days. Hoping some other members familiar with the way Rexhall heats the tanks will have some "experiences" they could share.

Bill,

If you are concerned about freezing just put some Pink RV anti-freeze in both tanks and head South. The combination of the heated bays and the anti-freeze should keep you safe.

Herman

Bill,

If you are concerned about freezing just put some Pink RV anti-freeze in both tanks and head South. The combination of the heated bays and the anti-freeze should keep you safe.

Herman

Thanks Herman, That is what I'm going to do.

One winter we did not have fresh water in the tank, but used gallon milk jugs for the toilet. We did have a heavy duty 40 watt light bulb in reflector that clamped on. Some call them utility lamps. The temperature range was 11 to 14 degrees F outside. We have a outdoor wireless thermometer in the water bay. We held 34 F or above. Our valves did not freeze and we did not use any antifreeze.

Thanks Rossboyer,

I was planning on a 100w bulb in the water bay to keep the dump valves warm and my fresh water tank is under the bed in back room so that should be OK. A couple gallons of antifreeze in the black and gray tank should get me to Florida and back. Then I can use my new sewer solution and sewer branch I installed to empty the tanks for winterizing upon returning home.