epstep

Insuring An RV Lot ...

I am trying to find out some information on obtaining liability insurance for my RV lot. This would be to cover my investment and myself should I rent it when I am not using it.

We have a lot in a motorcoach resort. Although we never plan to rent it we did get 500k liability for it. It was only $325 a year. You never know when a visitor might fall or numerous other things might happen on it. Ccmsm

I apologize but that's been about 8 months ago and I can't remember. We are on the road now but when get back I'll look it up. It is through a local agent so I think about every company would offer it. From talking to my neighbors most of them have it but we all seem to use different agents. Sorry I can't be more help right now. Ccmsm

We have insurance through GEICO and they offer an umbrella liability plan that covers the motor home, campsite and our car as well. Geico recommended this as a way to save money, purchasing lower liability insurance on the motor home and car and then making up the difference with the umbrella policy. Our policy costs $218 per year for 300,000 per incident, $500,000 total coverage. That cost may vary depending on your locality.

If you are renting your lot out, it could be considered a commercial property and there may be differences in the coverage you would have to purchase.

Right now I have an umbrella policy with Blue Sky, but it only covers me while I am traveling with my MH. It covers my home and cars as well

What I am looking for is a stand alone while my lot is vacant and possibly rented

epstep. I have Blue Sky for MH. Everything else, is covered by USAA. Have you checked BS to see if they have a liability coverage for your lot? Allstate comes to mind also.

There are Life Insurance Company's that also are into vehicle and property coverage. Goggle it!

Carl

I understand your problem as we too are owners of a motorcoach resort lot. We do NOT rent our lot out, nor is it part of the Resort's rental program. Our motorcoach's insurance does indeed cover our resort lot but only when the coach is parked on it. During the months we are not there, the lot is empty and we have a restraining rope baring entrance. Hopefully that will advise people that we don't want anyone in there. Of course the Resort's employees still have access to mow the grass and such, but those employee's are covered under the Resort's insurance plan.

So, currently we do NOT have any liability insurance for the lot when we are not present. We have inquired...but have yet to purchase any, and probably will not. Hopefully, this will not come to bite us in the rear later on.

Ron

I really can't can see where adding a lot/parking spot to a Homeowners Insurance Policy would be expensive or impossible. Doing via a separate policy might be a problem or at least more expensive than adding by endorsement. In most cases you can add some rental property to a homeowners contract. Try asking a knowledgeable agent. If you do not have coverage and an incident/accident occurs you may find yourself staring at a default judgment, all because you did not respond when sued. Try to get any ones response in writing.

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM I SEE IN THE PRIOR COMMENTS...thinking you have coverage under an umbrella or excess liability policy. With few exceptions you need underlying liability coverage for the umbrella or excess contract to come into play.

My profile does not say it but I am still a licensed Texas Agent and Risk Manager, also a Certified Insurance Counselor. I just don't do it for money anymore.