Sign in to follow this  
Millerdg711@aol.com

1996 Prevost - Excellent Shape. Considering Purchase

We recently retired and will be going full time. Considering trading our C Dutchman 2004 for an immaculate 1996 Prevost. Have all the service records and spoke with previous owner who recently traded it for a 2013 with slides. It has 200k miles asking $90k with our trade (which is developing major delamination issues on one side). This is a major financial decision.

We were told Prevost hold value and we could resell in 3 to 5 years for $70 to $80.

Anybody out there who can offer input?

Thanks.

Do you know who the converter/builder is? Prevost is a very good name in buses, the converter that did the conversion will have an impact on what the coach is, and will be worth.

200,000 miles is reasonably low mileage, if this correct. There are many good converters out there, and probably was by one of these.

What engine, and transmission is also a factor. Also is this a 40 or 45 footer, both have a tag axle, designation by Prevost will be H40, or H45.

Good luck on your decision, Kay

Miller, welcome to the Forum!

You wrote that this is a major financial decision. What is the age off the tires? The service record will tell you what to expect to pay each year. MPG?

Insurance?

JMHO of course, but that's too old and too many miles for my liking. Granted, that big diesel has lots of miles left on it, but the coach has been lived in for 200k...that's lots of travel and lots of use. The average motor homer puts 5 to 6k a year on a MH. This one has doubled that average. If you are serious, check the tires (the dates), batteries and a function check of EVERYTHING...from toilets to refer to Aqua Hot to water system leaks, stove, etc. There has to be some heavy wear on the inside of that coach...even if it is a Prevost.

JMHO of course, but that's too old and too many miles for my liking. Granted, that big diesel has lots of miles left on it, but the coach has been lived in for 200k...that's lots of travel and lots of use. The average motor homer puts 5 to 6k a year on a MH. This one has doubled that average. If you are serious, check the tires (the dates), batteries and a function check of EVERYTHING...from toilets to refer to Aqua Hot to water system leaks, stove, etc. There has to be some heavy wear on the inside of that coach...even if it is a Prevost.

I'm sure not average. 2008 other MH with 55k on it is 10-11k miles a year. I guess that happens when you live on the SW Coast and travel East one year and West the next and back and fourth. Better to run them motors than to let them sit.

I average 11,500 miles per year and have put as much as 17,000 in a year (last year)! You can't say that the previous owner averaged 10,500 per year. We know nothing about the use of the coach!

Take Charley or Jon as an example, how many miles does the President and VP, put on their coaches during their time in office? Then lets say, they keep the coaches for 4 more years and when sold they have 150,000 miles each. How do you average that?

Since all the service records are available, the odds are that he remodeled it during the previous 19 years and I would not hesitate to buy it!

Carl

My wife and I are the second owners of a 99 Marathon XLV that we bought in January of this year. We made the move from a 34' Airstream trailer. As others have said check the date code on the tires, as these are a major expense, also the coach batteries. We bought ours with 150000 miles on it and it rides and drives so much better than our friends 2008 Fleetwood Excursion, we rode in their's and they rode in ours and they couldn't believe the difference. These coaches are most likely more expensive to do maintenance on, with being said, they are a commercial vehicle and are built to run a million miles. We completed our first 3ooo mile trip in June and couldn't be more happy. Since we bought it, we have put on a new set of Michelins, new shocks and all new batteries, a major expense to be sure, but all should last about 8 years.