Sign in to follow this  
obedb

Winegard Traveler

Finally finished the installation. The box has been in the basement for a week or so. Big/ 4 x 2 feet by 18" high. 72lbs. A company about 500 feet from the storage area agreed to set the box on top and wanted no$$. I slid it between the Dometic roof vent and the Fantastic Max Air topper with no room to spare. Safe for the 500 foot trip back to storage. That was birthday # 71.

Stopped right there and headed to the Texas Roadhouse with Betty. Next day I installed the Traveler on the centerline between the front ac and the vent fan topper. More than enough room to meet install requirements.Nine screws and lots of Dicor. Time to quit/ 90 degrees.

Next day/ routed the two cables forward to a suitable entry point. In they went. Put the supplied cap in place with lots of Dicor. Another 90 degree day.

Two days later (today) it was time for the final reckoning. The day of days/ $1569 later. Arranged all of the inside electronic parts in the front overhead cabinets. Fired everything up and actually read the instructions. After the usual wait for anything Direct TV to boot up, low and behold it worked. Transponder #s in the high 90s to even some 100s. All with the touch of a button. Programs in high def wide screen just like that.

Was it easy for a non expert/ especially my age? Absolutely NO. Was it satisfying to do, saving five or six hundred in the process/ Yes!!! We have been with Direct TV for 20 years. Always did my own installations. Used the pie pan dish in 18 wheelers for years. This was more for my wife than me because she does love TV. I get the satisfaction of being able to do it in spite of the warnings that I heard. It just beats the hades out of RV Park cable.

I hope that my original post is not considered bragging on my part. A pro would have been laughing at me for taking so long. When one is retired their is a lot of time available to be really careful about a project. My point is that if I can do it, there are many owners out there that can do it also. I have seen a lot of discussion about the Traveler on websites.

Maybe my experience can help to save some $$$$. Ours was purchased from Solid Signal in Michigan. $1569, no tax and free second day arrival by FedEx. The tube of Dicor was about $9. That is it.

I am sure that I remember dealer installed prices well above $2200. The unit worked perfectly/ no calls to customer service required. I have heard that they are very helpful if you need them though. They are in Iowa not somewhere overseas.

ObedB. Bragging? No, you have every right to be proud of what you did! At 70+, getting on a coach roof to begin with, is a major undertaking, I'm not ambulatory enough to do what you did. I would love to be able to remove the Dish traveler I got and replace with a Direct TV.

Thank you for the post and as Herman said, Congratulation! :)

Carl

We left PA last Wednesday on our annual trek to Colorado. We are taking our time. Each day the Winegard Traveler looks for the three satellites from a different location. Takes a little more time to link up when compared to stowing and starting a day or two later in the same place, which was the case when our RV was in a storage area as I slowly chipped away at my "to do list". It never fails to find strong signals and does it far sooner than dragging out a portable dish, expensive meter, and then starting the process that can take quite some time to complete. Five to seven minutes max. Compare that to trying to aim a portable dish. Very happy so far.